• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got the new Polara Bear home yesterday.......

md71631

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
Went to Kansas yesterday to pick up the 64 Polara and bring it back home. Took it for a drive and it was ok.... carb loading up and tailpipe bracket loose.... needs some TLC and do detail work on the paint. Clay bar and such. The car has basically been setting in a heated and cooled garage for 15 years since it had a body off restoration. Was originally a California car and was manufacture in LA. The foundation is solid now just need to make it better to drive and cruise in..... that's the fun stuff.....

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

NICE! You're going to have fun with that Dodge and lots of envious lookers.

Nice score. However, can't do a body off restoration on most Mopars. Lol.

Went to Kansas yesterday to pick up the 64 Polara and bring it back home. Took it for a drive and it was ok.... carb loading up and tailpipe bracket loose.... needs some TLC and do detail work on the paint. Clay bar and such. The car has basically been setting in a heated and cooled garage for 15 years since it had a body off restoration. Was originally a California car and was manufacture in LA. The foundation is solid now just need to make it better to drive and cruise in..... that's the fun stuff.....

View attachment 1622678

View attachment 1622679

View attachment 1622685
Congratulations!! Awesome looking ride!

LOL on the not really able to do a body off.... I get it..... That is a nice engine wid da 2 4's.... this car has a 505 CI 575hp, 610 torque engine built by Muscle Motors in Lansing Michigan.... 850 Holley........ roller cam and all the rest.... 4:10 diff with a gear vendors OD unit.... in OD it will cruise 75 at 2600 rpm..... not bad.... disc brakes all around..... needs some TLC....
received_360441068823454_960130764057275.JPEG

163.JPG

215.JPG

I would be interested in how the brake pedal pressure is. I have a 64 with manual disc brakes all around and the pedal pressure to stop is higher than I would like.

I would be interested in how the brake pedal pressure is. I have a 64 with manual disc brakes all around and the pedal pressure to stop is higher than I would like.

When I first drove it I thought I was going to have to stand on it to stop it. I have not driven anything that isn't boosted since I don't know when. Now that I have gotten used to it a bit I am thinking it is about normal if I knew what normal was. It is a firm pedal but it stops well and in a straight line.... don't know what adjustments are possible to decrease brake leg pressure and increase stopping power. I will have to ponder that. I'm thinking the power brake boost is not going to work with the cam in the 505 ci....so would have to be driven off the PS pump......

Nice car do I see power steering?

Yep.... it does have PS.... not a lot of road feel.... but an alignment will help as it tends to wander around a bit.
Was AMAZED how nice my ’63 steered after install of a FFII box, must be better than it drove off the assembly line, tight, no wander. Of course 'proper' alignment and nice rubber is part of it. There are other boxes recommended by fellow members, but been happy with this one.

When I first drove it I thought I was going to have to stand on it to stop it. I have not driven anything that isn't boosted since I don't know when. Now that I have gotten used to it a bit I am thinking it is about normal if I knew what normal was. It is a firm pedal but it stops well and in a straight line.... don't know what adjustments are possible to decrease brake leg pressure and increase stopping power. I will have to ponder that. I'm thinking the power brake boost is not going to work with the cam in the 505 ci....so would have to be driven off the PS pump......
I changed the master cylinder from one with a 1 1/8” bore to one with a 15/16 bore. That helped some. I’m like you in that I can’t put a booster on mine. Right now I’m living with it. You have a very nice car.

The more I drive it the more I'm getting used to the pedal feel.... the car has great brakes and I don't mind not having any boost assist.... started including a leg day in my weekly workouts.... :)

Auto Transport Service
Back