• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPS Tracker, anybody install in there cars?

The airtags would be useless as a vehicle locating device in most cases in my area.
The device has to be within bluetooth range of another device. Maybe in a metropolitan area it would give you a last location seen. Once inside a large lot or building, your stuff is still gone.

I really wouldn't get hyped about the apple airtag. It's a bluetooth device tracker. this means you must be in bluetooth range for the tracker to work. Or another Iphone user in blue tooth range to work. So if not Iphone is near the tracker you will not be about to get a signal from it. It's great for finding personal items around you, but to get a reading from miles away and and the car is parked in a garage with no Iphone near it . It cannot broadcast out a signal. It's take someone with a iphone near the tag to use there phone to broadcast the signal. I've seen a couple youtube videos of trying to find a drone and cannot do to no Iphone around it.

The airtags would be useless as a vehicle locating device in most cases in my area.
The device has to be within bluetooth range of another device. Maybe in a metropolitan area it would give you a last location seen. Once inside a large lot or building, your stuff is still gone.
As I have said, I am not a fan of Apple products, but the AirTag seemed to work pretty well. It is true that they use another device that is in Bluetooth range. But my sister in law pretty effectively tracked her shipment of furniture from the East Coast all the way to California. It doesn't matter if it is inside a large lot or building. Anytime anyone with an Apple iPhone, iPad, etc. comes close it can track it. How many people in the USA have iPhones? I think enough that it would likely work pretty well.

Also putting the GPS inside the trunk, engine compartment, under the car a lot of times the GPS signal will not get out. You will have to test it where you put it. know I had to hide one in the trunk under the rear window area and even the dash where the windshield was to get a signal, But that was many years ago. I heard guys hiding under their passenger seat with the magnet one and reading good, do to all the windows the signal can get out. You will have to experiment with the location to see how good of a signal you get.

Also putting the GPS inside the trunk, engine compartment, under the car a lot of times the GPS signal will not get out. You will have to test it where you put it. know I had to hide one in the trunk under the rear window area and even the dash where the windshield was to get a signal, But that was many years ago. I heard guys hiding under their passenger seat with the magnet one and reading good, do to all the windows the signal can get out. You will have to experiment with the location to see how good of a signal you get.
Haven't experienced any issues regarding signal strength with the Amcrest no matter how well hidden it was.

Just started using one last year. Amcrest AM-GL300W-4G. Text and email alerts, battery holds a 10-14 day charge. You can activate and freeze the account as needed as well as the frequency of the position updates. Customize your zones for entry/exit notifications. Easily hidden with magnetic hard case.

Available at Amazon for 40 bucks !

GPS vs apple tag vs samsung smart tag. GPS is the way to go even tho you will have to pay a subscription

GPS vs apple tag vs samsung smart tag. GPS is the way to go even tho you will have to pay a subscription

The subscription can be as long or as short as you need. Last year I only had mine active for 1 month for an out of town show and froze it after that.

Just what exactly does that beast do?

It has a counter weight inside that makes contact when it gets off level or if it gets rocked back and forth. Quite primitive for today's standards but activating a horn back in the day might have activated some buckshot also :)

Needed one of those with some of the old girlfriends in my past......

I have several Samsung smart tags. It is like the apple Air tag. Samsung works off from Bluetooth and also every android phone. It uses the phones to ping off from. If right by an android phone it can ping about every 5 min and rare cases sometimes it may take 45 to hour. It shows the location on Google maps. The battery can last a year or more when not causing it to ping.

I’ve just bought air tags primarily for tracking my luggage during travel and they work very well, so they will go into my cars, scooters and anything else, $25 each, very accurate, I think there is a similar device for android phones as well

I know that some people have high end show cars with values over $200k. I too have many cars and a lot of money invested in them as a group. But am I missing something here?

Cause I pay a great deal of money for collector cat insurance at a agreed upon value that covers the money I have in these cars. But the only thing in my life not replaceable is my wife and kids. I secure all of my cars in a garage attached to my house. Yes, I drive them overnight stays away from my home. I believe that is
If someone wants to steal something I have, they will find a way to get it. I put a lot of time, money and aggravation into restoring my autos to their current condition. If any of them are ever stolen, I don’t want them to be found. That is a violation I don’t want to deal with. As far as I’m concerned, the only reason I pay top dollar for insurance is to protect others if I’m in a accident and secondarily to cover the cost of a total loss. If it’s taken, I hope they are good, cause I just want to settle and move on. I have no time to worry or to deal with a violation.

Auto Transport Service
Back