• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are there any other quantity, not quality car people out there?

SteveSS

Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
I'm not the guy who has one awesome car and is usually improving it even further over time.

I'm also not the guy who has a big garage/mini warehouse full of awesome restored cars.

I'm the guy who has quite a few cars that either need a little or a lot (mostly a lot) and I'm trying to improve on them little bits at a time. When you see those ads that say too many projects, that's me.

I actually did sell the '70 GTO drag car without doing a damn thing to it after a few years which was very hard for me.

Are there any others like me or where do you fit in the car person hobby?

im in the not enuff money/room for them group. but keep dragging them home anyway. working on them a lil bit here and there.
but have one that is top of the list. and quality is put into them...lol

I have 16 now. So I have way too many. I am planning on selling off quite a few but it takes time to get them ready as you don't get squat out of a project car.

Have done three restorations over my time and done with any more major work. Old body and surgeries, don’t think can handle it. My restorations have been one at a time over a few decades, early on with money tight and much less garage space. One ride at a time, I think I’d go bonkers if having a few or more cars to restore. My ’63, despite all the work on it, have a few things I’d still like to do on it, couple things just being a do-over, nothing really wrong, just not all satisfied with a few things a few years after restoring it.

Did a total rust-bucket as the first resto, an old vert my mother had that was handed around the family as an extra car for years when she was done with it. Thankfully when my wise dad was still around not sure I’d have survived that project. Next was a CA car – what a difference redoing that one.

I've had my 67 rt for 20 or so years and after putting it together from a rolling shell, finally painted it last week.
Then I have a 78 w150 project, that one is a giant project.
86 ramcharger that i bought for parts turned into another project that I am scrounging parts for.
The RT is a nice driver, but since it will be "finished" people that know me will think I am driving someone else's car.

i also have many irons in the fire , but there not all cars . i do have one car project that’s long overdue . not having a shop that will fit a car has been a big hurdle. after consigning a few places to repair her only to run into problems i have a good friend and we fixing it up . i need a big shop fast . got plenty of equipment and tools , now need floor space ….i’m sure some of y’all been in the same situation….when it comes to quantity it’s motorcycles i fault the best !

The runner I have is my first full on restore project. Most of my life had motorcycles and all used cars and trucks as well. Did what I could to keep them going to get back and forth to work. When younger a friend and I bought a duster and put a 440 in it for a back road's racer. Worked on it all week to get ready for Friday and Saturday night's cruising for a race. Think what makes a car guy is someone that works on it himself. That guy on a creeper in the driveway IMG_0101.JPGIMG_0101.JPG working away. Maybe the guy that pulls the car under a tree so he can pull the motor.

I have lost count, either 52 or 54 vehicles . Only one was a restoration. Everything else has been a resurrection. There is a big difference between the two. Right now I have the two, 1987 Porsche 924S & the Charger. Both of these cars are drivers, and for as long as I own them…that is all they will ever be. Yup, you betcha..they always need a little TLC. I do not have a ridiculous expense account like I see here often. I try to sell the stuff I do not need to fund my ongoing resurrections. When the market bottoms…which it will..I will be fine without a loss. Not too many here can say that. My cars are my cars, to do as I please with them. I haven’t sunk my life savings into them. I only have what I am comfortable having. I do not have the “sickness” where I need more. I have just enough to maintain and keep ‘em going.

I barely have enough time to keep the Savoy on the street/strip. I have had it for a little over 30 years with 4 engine combos but always a 4-speed.
Drove it for a while with a slant 3-speed when I first got it.
I've had a bunch of cars in the past but this one will stay with me until I cant drive it anymore.
Gus

savoy at mikes.JPG

Current:

1969 Charger SE 383 AT Refresh only.
1969 Corvette. 350 4sp. Rough.
1970 Coronet 500 383 AT Pretty rough, no rust.
1971 Charger 500 383 AT Almost done.
1971 Challenger 408 4sp. Done.
1973 Pontiac Grand AM 455 AT Paint and engine done.
1973 Pontiac Grand Am 400 AT (Mostly parts car.)
1981 Camaro 350 AT BumbleBee Runs great, looks like the car from the first movie. Warts and all.
1982 Ram 50 2.6 L. 5sp. Great. In the family since new.
1991 Ford F-150 351 AT low miles. Dents.
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 AT Just in case of snow. Great.
1997 Camaro SS 350 6sp. Great.

I'd like to see your lists. Even when it's 16 cars.

Last edited:
I have two because of a small garage and a small lot.
1950 Chevy pick up
1970 Dart Swinger 340 but not for long replacing with a 1968 Superbee

IMG_4324.jpeg
IMG_4321.jpeg
IMG_4277.jpeg
IMG_4265.jpeg

Just five old cars for me (plus a Denali hauler and Acura TL daily driver). Two of the old cars run well, two need engine work and one needs a total restoration (for sale now). I expected to retire and restore the 1970 Roadrunner, but I lost my desire to get greasy and am making too much money to leave my part time business yet. I can garage 6 cars now, but I am trying my best to avoid the temptation. My wife is fully supportive of my hobby.

Besides what's listed in my sig

1966 WH23G Coronet 440 383-4 A/C YY1
1967 RH46F Belvedere II wagon 318 A/C WW1
1972 WP29P Charger SE 400-4 HT8 A/C factory buckets/hideaways/sway bars/sure grip this might be a parts car but it's one of 503 400-4 SG auto cars
1973 RL21G Satellite "stripper" 318 EW1 factory floor mat (no carpet) A/C car *now with upgrades*
1980 D150 Step-side 440/ 833 "White Zombie Express"
2000 Dakota R/T CC 5.9 Amber Fire
2003 P/T Cruiser 2.4 5-Speed Purple (wife's car) OK don't have that one anymore but can't edit sig

I also have

1967 Bevedere II parts car for wagon
1971 Satellite Sebring parts car
1986 5th Ave parts car
1987 D100 parts truck

Last edited:
I'm down to 3, all run and drive at any moment.
69 RR, done (yeah right, never done)
64 D100, 360 auto, body & paint scheduled next spring. 1st attempt at painting since my early 20's, hmmmm.....
95 Jeep, rough n tumble everyday driver. Super dependable
20230711_175418.jpg
20221022_150145.jpg

At peak my total was 12. It was always changing with flippers/parts cars. I'm also down to 3 spare big blocks and no small block stuff at all.
My wife also fully supports my hobby. She is on board with my $2700 total investment in cars/parts/tools.:thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

My dad had a total of (64) cars, all drivable, over his 66 years on this earth.
I currently am at (33) cars in my 49 years on this planet so far.
I laid the hobby down when we began raising kids 26 years ago. During that time I worked on our daily drivers out of necessity, but it kept the wrenching spirit alive. I had no plans to ever "get back into the old car hobby".

Fast forward to today. Our kids are each independent of us and we had some excess dough in the "oh sh.. fund" we saved for emergencies with the kids over the years. Mama told me I should consider getting back into old cars. So after 40 years of wrenching on cars while laying on my back in the driveway or garage, we decided to build the shop with a lift. We have since bought a few oldies that each have specific meaning to me/us. They all run and are on the road, but they each have their list of things I'm working on or "plan to get to".

I own (8) currently, and are all drivable. (4) of them are oldies and driven only on days where weather permits. One of the main reasons I own them is because I love working on them, trying to solve/fix each of their problems and I just like plain old tinkering.

The (8) I own currently are:

- '55 Belair (Completes the tri-5 circle dad began)
- '69 Roadrunner (Lifetime love as a kid. Never thought I'd ever own one)
- '70 Nova (This is mama's car. She loves '68-'72 GM's)
- '71 Duster 340 (Dad and I repainted a '70 back in the early 90's, same color, and I was hooked. )
- '93 Cutlass Ciera (This was bought as a first car for one of my kids. Cream puff. It has since went to my wife as a daily driver and now it's my daily driver. Love keeping it running).
- '96 Suburban (This is my winter beater. Goes on the road in December and comes back off in April. It's the sacrificial lamb for us being in the rust belt).
- '99 Tahoe (Former Texas truck. This replaces the Suburban during the non-winter months. Off the road December thru April. She's a bit of cream puff and I keep it that way).
- '09 Pontiac G6 (Mama's daily driver).

We have (3) daily drivers at any given time throughout the year. If one needs fixing we have another option in the meantime. I do my best to keep them ALL running ALWAYS. Between the shop and the garage I have room to keep them all indoors. But I keep the winter beater outdoors.

I’ve never had more than two because of space limitations. Honestly, I’m content owning two decent cars instead of a bunch of projects that may never be finished…

Im in the quantity bracket also. A years of collecting and restomoding, running out of room, I sold five of my cars, all redone but one, a driver. Now that Im retired, have a good shop, Im in high gear on my projects. Fortunately, NONE of my cars are out in the weather.

68 GTX auto-motor done, collecting parts
69 SS Chevelle 4 speed, white, body close to paint
73 Rally Charger 4 speed, done
73 Challenger auto, motor done, just got new quarters installed
69 SS Chevelle auto, green, collecting parts
71 Charger auto, collecting parts
71 GMC longbed, collecting parts
67 SS Impala 4 speed, collecting parts
69 Malibu, sedan, done
69 Satellite auto. still trying to decide what to do. Would be my biggest challenge as will need floor, trunk and at least 1 if not both quarters. collecting parts.
Cars done and sold
65 Buick Riviera
67 SS Impala
72 Charger
69 SS Chevelle
71 GMC longbed
82 Z28

I’ve got more than I need and less than I want. Got a little ahead of myself the last few years being in one location for the first time, but am working on getting a shop put in that will at least give me some room.

In order of ownership:

86 ‘K30’ Suburban. 8.1L/NV4500/NP205 with one ton axles/brakes and lockers. Trail rig, tow rig, hunting wagon

91 BMW 325i. Was my daily for years. Now a stripped and caged endurance road course racer that we campaign a few times a year.

73 Firebird Formula. Looong term rotisserie resto project. Lacking paint and body and final assembly. First on list when shop gets finished.

11 Chevy Caprice PPV. Built LSA (~720 crank) with a full 5th Gen ZL1 drivetrain and suspension swap. Long distance cruiser, road racing, and having lots of fun with ‘modern muscle’.

77 Volare 4dr. Was an all original 70k slant six car. Now a 318 Magnum/A518 swap with all the cop underpinnings and some extra goodies. Daily beater that I put ~10k a year on.

79 Chrysler 300. Mostly original cruiser in good driver condition. I’ve always liked late Bs, and T-tops was icing on the cake.

72 Satellite. Current project. Was a 318 car. Bought it with a 400/727/9.25 combo. Now midway into becoming a stroker/T56 combo with a whole bunch of other goodies.

79 Volare. Parts Car I bought when my 77 got backed into and lost its front clip.

72 Charger SE. 400-2bbl car. All numbers matching with 24k original miles. Purchased for parts, but too nice to follow through. It needs a full resto, but it’s a rust free and straight start. Will be in line once I’ve finished the Satellite and Formula and have some of the other drivetrain projects polished off on the 300.

I have the full sickness.

The most I've had at one time is 22. These days, I'm down to my two modern drivers, my two old cars and two old trucks. My sons both have an old car each. They all run and drive, and are titled and tagged.

Auto Transport Service
Back