• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grandma is crazy!

SteveSS

Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
My mom will be 90 years old in a month. She lives on her 20-acre ranch in the Black Forest area of Colorado. Dad passed away a few years ago. Mom is Norwegian, her name is Haldis. My aunts and uncles had names like Ingrid, Gundborg, and Germund. So she worked all her life as an RN, then retired.

Her house is spotless and I mean really spotless. Now she has decided to rake up and bag the pine needles. Every time I go out there she has another 10 big yard bags stuffed with pine needles and pine cones. She is little, only about 100 pounds but she kicks ***. She has not lost a step mentally. I tell her, Grandma you're crazy, stop working so hard but it has no effect.

This is what the Black Forest in Colorado looks like. That's Pikes Peak in the background.

black forest.jpg

Good for her...like my dad says "It's not getting old that stops you doing things, it's stopping doing things that makes you old!"

My mother in law is 88....and still cycles the 4 miles from her house to ours to see us...as much as we tell her not to!

My mom will be 90 years old in a month. She lives on her 20-acre ranch in the Black Forest area of Colorado. Dad passed away a few years ago. Mom is Norwegian, her name is Haldis. My aunts and uncles had names like Ingrid, Gundborg, and Germund. So she worked all her life as an RN, then retired.

Her house is spotless and I mean really spotless. Now she has decided to rake up and bag the pine needles. Every time I go out there she has another 10 big yard bags stuffed with pine needles and pine cones. She is little, only about 100 pounds but she kicks ***. She has not lost a step mentally. I tell her, Grandma you're crazy, stop working so hard but it has no effect.

This is what the Black Forest in Colorado looks like. That's Pikes Peak in the background.

View attachment 942542
The Black Forest was one of my favorite places to go to when I was stationed at Ft. Carson in the early '80s. Back then Colorado Springs was a great small city.

Great story!! Thanks for sharing!!

Grandma's not crazy, she knows what she needs to do to keep that mental and physical ability with her. Those 10 bags of pine straw keeps you checking on her and busy too. Ride on Grandma!!! Treasure those days with her.

nice to see she didn't lose anything in that crazy fire a few years back. I was living in falcon at the time, and I could see the flames at night. I got hit directly by a wall of smoke when it started. I have friends that live in black forest and lost everything.

Go Grandma Go
I love hearing stories like that!

that's all probably why, she's made it to 90

I love hearing that. One of my grandmothers made it to 99, Same work ethic as yours, God Bless them ! :thumbsup:

My gran was also 99 when she died...back in 1999....lived on her own in a country cottage for the last 13 years of her life...cooked on a wood fired Arga...even though she had an electric oven as well! Always amazed me the progress she saw in her life...first powered flight when she was 3...and then just 66 years later we put a man on the moon. All seems to have slowed down in recent times!. She would have been annoyed not to make 100 (by just 3 months) as being the Royalist she was, receiving a birthday card signed by the Queen would have been the highlight of her life!

I wanna party with your grandma, she sounds like my kind of lady. I was fortunate enough to live with my grandma when I was in my 20’s, you take a whole new view of your elders when you get to enjoy them when you are an adult. You just can’t get that by visiting for an hour or so once in awhile.

Auto Transport Service
Back