• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grounding question

dodge68charger

Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
If i run all my under dash grounds to a junction block then straight to the battery from the block do i need to use a heavy gauge wire. Its about 6 -14 gaugue wire going to the block for the stereo, aftermarket gauges etc. thanks

Yes, you will need a heavier gauge wire than those that are being utilized under the dash. To properly determine gauge size you will need total maximum current draw and then determine total length of the wire form the junction block to the battery. You may then use a manufacturers recommendation on the proper size wire.

Yes, you need a larger ground than the 14's going to the stud.

As a general rule, 2 14ga wire = 1 10ga
Keeping with that, you are going to have 2.5 10ga wires which is about a 4ga wire equivalent.

Maybe wrong but think you are still going to have to ground to the body to get things to work correctly. Ground to the battery should not hurt but almost everything grounds to the body somewhere.

The dash frame (bolted cleanly to the body) and body shell will be the largest conductor possible for a negative return path to the battery. A good negative battery cable to the block and a good block to body ground connection, you’re done. Ground everything else to the body or dash frame.

Thanks for the replys guys. I will find a good place on the dash to ground everything and make sure the dash has a good clean path to ground for the body. I'll run an extra ground cable from the engine block to the body just to cover all bases..

Auto Transport Service
Back