• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grrrrrrrrrr!!

Bigal75

Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
Just got stranded at the gas station, car would not start - like a dead battery. Anyway I did get a boost and went home. I tested at about 1000rpm at the battery posts and have only 12.2V. I then unplugged the positive and that killed the car. I assume the alternator packed it in? This is a bran new battery BTW.

is there any way to test off the alternator to see if it's charging? This is on a 67 Coronet R/T. How many amps would the stocker be? would a 75 amp be an upgrade?

From what I know if you disconnect the battery from the car when it is running and it dies you will need to replace the alt. Some parts stores can test it there if you can get it there running or they can test it off the car also.

OK I picked up a 50 amp alternator however the new alternator is different. The one I have on my 67 R/T has two conections - one with 2 wires and another with one conector while this alternator only has one conector and a nut/stud that says battery. As far as I know my car still has points - it does not have an ECU. HELP!!

OK I picked up a 50 amp alternator however the new alternator is different. The one I have on my 67 R/T has two conections - one with 2 wires and another with one conector while this alternator only has one conector and a nut/stud that says battery. As far as I know my car still has points - it does not have an ECU. HELP!!

I don't know why you would have a dual field alternator on a points car...but whatever, just go buy a dual field alternator for say a 72 charger with the same motor that your car has.

I don't know why you would have a dual field alternator on a points car...but whatever, just go buy a dual field alternator for say a 72 charger with the same motor that your car has.

I bought 2 alternators one from a 70's and a correct model for a '67. I'm not sure what's going on. I assume someone has already done some sort of swap - I'll just have to work through it. Id does have an older voltage regulator and resistor. I'll figure it out.

I installed a new alternator (50 amps) and same thing - no charging. So I opened up the Voltage regulator and there was a metal wire that was burnt. As a test I installed a wire and joined that connection and now have 14.4v at the alternator and about 13.5 at the battery. I did notice some of the connections were old and corroded so I'm sure I can get more voltage to the battery. The car runs much better. One thing I noticed is my ammeter pegs the charge side when I give the car gas andthe needle bounces a little, I assume that's normal. I've ordered a new VR.

Auto Transport Service
Back