• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Han Solo has another 'mishap' flying his plane...

Not sure how they're doing it. Maybe more powerful engines. I dispatched airplanes to and from SNA for many years and it was always one of my problem childs. On a hot day I had problems getting 27's & 37's out of there. Had to restrict payload and hold off passengers many times just to get 'em off the ground. It was one of (if not thee) shortest runways in our system. Just slightly over minimum. Probably close to minimum for the 57', 67's & 77's well. Still hard to imagine.
Granted @ 5700 ft, it's trim & i figure they can't be going out @ gross. Usual rotation is about 2/3rds length of roll. Doesn't leave much room to abort. The airlines, UPS, Fed Ex do a healthy business there. One week, I saw a 757 & an Airbus suck birds just after rotating, ,both exploded view an engine, both still in blue line, had just cleared the threshold out over the 73 & golf course.....summertime, roughly 85 degrees. The 757 must have been light, he just turned into a downwind leg, back to other end & landed, plane kept a good attitude. The Airbus a couple days later must have been heavy, he did same as 757, going back into a downwind, but the bird was mushing big time, with an extreme nose high attitude.
It is a dangerous airport without any runoff & severe drop off at the golf course end........but no losses have occurred there for some time, I never saw one.....I remember a Hawker 800 blew a tyre on take off & lit the magnesium wheel, but the Guy got it hauled down before the fence.

I'm sure every one of those birds going in and out is light. They would well exceed their runway & performance limit if they where grossed out.

"It is a dangerous airport without any runoff & severe drop off at the golf course end."
Not to mention the noise restrictions. I flew in there once in the jump seat and once was enough.

I'm sure every one of those birds going in and out is light. They would well exceed their runway & performance limit if they where grossed out.

"It is a dangerous airport without any runoff & severe drop off at the golf course end."
Not to mention the noise restrictions. I flew in there once in the jump seat and once was enough.
Yeah, there is three bells, if an outbound sounds third bell, a warning is issued to N #.....if same bird does it again they are banned from airport.
My Brother had a Lear 24D.....Dash 8 straight pipe motors..
we went for a screamer one day....knew we were going to light the first two bells.....before third bell he pulls the power & radically drops nose so tailpipes aren't pointed towards ground......then once past bell, firewalls again & we went in 50 degree climb & pegged ROC @ 6500 feet a minute.......
we made 41,000 feet in less than 10 minutes.
Did You ever fly in/out of Catalina? One day in a Beech B 60 Duke(ground lover)We rolled right off runway without rotating .....turns out the pitot static was amiss, airspeed reading slow, so He had held bird down when She was really ready to fly. Sitting in right seat, I was shitting as We rolled off that cliff........

Last edited:
Did You ever fly in/out of Catalina?
No, I worked for UAL. We didn't go in there. I think SNA was close to the shortest runway we operated into. I seem to recall one in Ohio I think that was very short as well. It was on a mountain top. Kind of like a carrier takeoff. Always had weight problems out of there as well. That was back in the 737-100 days. I want to say CAK, but their long runway is over 8000' (maybe it has been lengthened since then).

No, I worked for UAL. We didn't go in there. I think SNA was close to the shortest runway we operated into. I seem to recall one in Ohio I think that was very short as well. It was on a mountain top. Kind of like a carrier takeoff. Always had weight problems out of there as well. That was back in the 737-100 days. I want to say CAK, but their long runway is over 8000' (maybe it has been lengthened since then).
Catalina Island Avalon is short...3000 ft. No commercial except for puddle jumpers. It's basically a Mesa top, so drop offs either direction.
What's the landing speed across the fence of a 737 100 in statute?

No clue without a FM. Wouldn't even venture a guess.

Apparently we got a little off topic. Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcasting.
I looked up some #'s,,,,,737 200 is 130 knots. My Old Man was a test pilot during WW ll for Douglas & Martin......landing speed of a Martin short wing (wing loading 54 lbs per sq. ft.) B-26 Marauder is 135 mph.....can You imagine?
OK, back to Ford bashing......

OK, back to Ford bashing......

OK :D

ford (2).jpg

The guy is 74 & has had two incidents in 2 years which tells me that it's time to hang up his pilot's license.
The first incident was mechanical failure. He was flying a vintage WW2 plane. He's damn lucky there was a golf course to land on.

Yeah, hard to blame him for that one. In fact, I think you have to give him kudos for getting it and himself down in one piece. Not so this last incident.

Auto Transport Service
Back