• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Han Solo has another 'mishap' flying his plane...

There's two runways @ Orange County that parallel each other....20 left is the shorter.....taxiways in between...
the 737 was holding short on 20 right......so if He landed parallel to 20 right, how did He overfly the 737??
Typical media mis-information.
I know Orange County have spent years on it.
This looks like a good article on what took place.

"Ford (pictured flying over Santa Monica Monday before the incident) was captured on air traffic control recordings asking: 'Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4229206/Harrison-Ford-spotted-air-investigation-hold.html

The article contradicts itself claiming the 'near miss' happened at two different airports. John Wayne OC is not Santa Monica.
I noticed that too but thought maybe it has two names. I saw that in another article also.
Fake News!

The word was he landed in the taxi lane? Not good!

I noticed that too but thought maybe it has two names. I saw that in another article also.
Fake News!

The word was he landed in the taxi lane? Not good!
True, a definite error. I don't know the incident, hadn't been heard of it,, just know the layout @ John Wayne & doubt the media hype of near miss. The 'heavies' use the long runway,,,, lighter stuff uses the shorter runway. Correcting myself,, the short runway is 2 left, & the long one is 20 right.

Looks like the guy never gets a break from the Paparazzi with all of the pictures they took of him that day! Even a picture of his approach. I bet they even got one of him in the crapper after lunch.

Harrison Ford was aboard a small plane that landed on a taxiway of a California airport, flying directly over a waiting American Airlines 737, federal officials said.
The Federal Aviation Administration, which has not identified who was piloting the plane, is investigating this incident.

According to the FAA, the actor's Aviat Husky single-engine propellor plane was cleared to land on Runway 20L at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, Monday afternoon. The FAA said the pilot repeated the approved landing clearance back to the air traffic controller.

"The pilot then landed on a taxiway that runs parallel to the runway, overflying a Boeing 737 that was holding short of the runway," the FAA said in a statement.

The 737-800, operated by American Airlines, had 110 passengers and six crew aboard. The flight departed the gate from Orange County for Dallas just after noon.

The National Transportation Safety Board said that it was told Ford was involved in a landing incident at John Wayne airport. They are gathering more information and have not determined whether they will investigate just yet.

The NTSB did not specify that Ford was the pilot.
170214183033-harrison-ford-plane-780x439.jpg

Apparently his co-pilot was asleep at the time....
hqdefault.jpg

And no body caught the misspelled word in the article ? Me, the none speller did. Where's the spelling Nazi when you need him ? ( sarcasm)

I like Harrison. Very entertaining actor but the guy is a massive stoner. Don't ask me how I know.

Looking at the Airport Diagram

SNA_diagram.jpg

And an aerial view from the approach end, it's really hard to imagine making this mistake.
SNA-19R.jpg

The picture of the Aviat on final is Not @ John Wayne OC....most likely that is Santa Monica.
@ OC, the taxiway is to the left of the short runway on this direction of final approach. Heavies only use the long runway to the right of the short runway..so if the 737 was holding short of long runway, and the taxiway is to the left of short runway....how did he overfly the 737 on a straight in approach?? I know of two other incidents where pilots have confused the taxiway with the short runway.......since the article confused OC & Santa Monica, it's possible the incident occurred @ Santa Monica & not OC.

I've confused two "side-by-side" airports before (at least from the air they looked like side by sides), but never taxiways for runways! I realized my error before completing the approach, so no harm, no foul. This is a wake-up call for Mr. Ford. End your flying exploits now before it's too late.

Wasnt that article from the UK?
They spell propeller with an o instead of e.

"Heavies" do not fly into SNA (Santa Ana aka Orange County). The runway is way too short.

"Heavies" do not fly into SNA (Santa Ana aka Orange County). The runway is way too short.
BS!
757, 767, 777, Airbus, all damn day long! I worked on & lived next to OC all through 90's & early new millennium. No 747's. When I say I lived next to, that's literal, only separated by chain link fence because I occupied two different parking lots in RV's.....like 150 feet from long runway. Bryco Arms & Martin Aviation.

Not sure how they're doing it. Maybe more powerful engines. I dispatched airplanes to and from SNA for many years and it was always one of my problem childs. On a hot day I had problems getting 27's & 37's out of there. Had to restrict payload and hold off passengers many times just to get 'em off the ground. It was one of (if not thee) shortest runways in our system. Just slightly over minimum. Probably close to minimum for the 57', 67's & 77's well. Still hard to imagine.

Auto Transport Service
Back