• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hands free driving

Eventually the "self driving" technology will be perfected. It seems like we're getting close. No more drunk drivers or sleepy drivers

I don't think any of it is going to happen the way people imagine it. One word, Litigation. Who gets the blame when eventually something goes wrong? After all, IT is a good career for a reason. Once a vehicle owner is held responsible for an accident that happened in full autonomous mode, nobody will ever trust it again.

Why buy a car if you don't want to drive it ?
even if it's a 'novelty deal'
or just for boredom while commuting etc.

3 key words
'second party liability'

it will make everything more expensive

having to buy even more cheap crap from China
you know that's how it works
even our tech people won't control it

Seems, those who made or programmed the self-driving system
(any parts of it)
the mnfg of the car
the people in the other car using self driving mode
auto owners insurance
all should be liable if it fails

sue the absolute **** out of all of them

I see serious litigation to come down the road

I have driven a Chevrolet with Super Cruise and it is a cool feature. That being said I wouldn't specifically look for a vehicle with the option, but on todays highways I certainly have more confidence in technologies ability to control the vehicle than a real driver speeding, eating and texting while not paying attention to the road.

a real driver speeding, eating and texting while not paying attention to the road
... but those people are still out there, how is a self driving vehicle traveling 55mph going to react when this guy/gal comes up behind you weaving in and out at 75mph? Can these vehicles function optimally when they are surrounded with other vehicles they can't communicate with? How far away can they see/sense other cars? Too many boneheads making erratic, un-signaled lane changes at all speeds for me to feel comfortable trusting the technology. Not that I ever want to see it happen anyway but I don't think it will be effective until ALL vehicles are autonomous.

To clarify. I want to drive and control my own car. I would rather the speeding, eating, texting drivers have and be using the autonomous feature. Sorry I wasn't clear on my earlier thought.

To clarify. I want to drive and control my own car. I would rather the speeding, eating, texting drivers have and be using the autonomous feature. Sorry I wasn't clear on my earlier thought.
Ahhh, no worries, after just re-reading your post it is I who should apologize. You were clear ..... seems I have a problem with my reading comprehension! :lol:
I completely agree with you, those buggers should all have self driving cars!

The commercial where there driving the $90K GMC while they are "clapping their hands"??? And GM pays LOTS of money to these agencies... LOL.. Must be a" young person" thing, cause I don't get it......

The commercial where there driving the $90K GMC while they are "clapping their hands"??? And GM pays LOTS of money to these agencies... LOL.. Must be a" young person" thing, cause I don't get it......

yes.... this one...... yeah, gimme some hands free driving so I can clap my hands and play dashboard drums........ the commercial makes me hate the concept even more

The Ag world has had auto-steer for a number years. Certainly a far stretch from autonomous, but it would be interesting to know how many farmers who couldn't do without the feature today had no interest in it when first introduced.

I know we wouldn't want to do without auto-steer in our machines

Even
images (1).jpeg

would think this would be great!

Our newest car is from 1994 and even this is to new / to much tech for my taste.
My newest is a 97 Dodge diesel powered pickup.....next is a 96 Dakota and then a 95 Dakota.

Eventually the "self driving" technology will be perfected. It seems like we're getting close. No more drunk drivers or sleepy drivers
The drunk drivers will figure out how to do it to keep on driving drunk.....

I don't think any of it is going to happen the way people imagine it. One word, Litigation. Who gets the blame when eventually something goes wrong? After all, IT is a good career for a reason. Once a vehicle owner is held responsible for an accident that happened in full autonomous mode, nobody will ever trust it again.
I don't trust it....period!

Our newest car is from 1994 and even this is to new / to much tech for my taste.
My newest is a 97 Dodge diesel powered pickup.....next is a 96 Dakota and then a 95 Dakota.

The drunk drivers will figure out how to do to keep on driving drunk.....

I don't trust it....period!

This is true testament of just how under achieving the mileneals are. When I was they're age I could drive grab a gear and have a hand on my lady's knee while chugging a beer. SSMMHHH wussies.

they know they cant change most of us older folks minds,but thats not the end goal anyways.

the end goal is to continue dumbing down our population,and not just in vehicles and self driving,its everywheres.
from social media bias,to tv ads,its all designed in a high school fashion,with Lots of subliminal programming going on too.
have any of you noticed how many ads have lights flashing in the backgrounds??
wasnt that illegal and cant it cause seizures??
yet there it is,and everyones doing it.

if you watch some of the street interviews of younger citizens,
they Literally have no clue about Anything,or whos running their lives.
a lot of them dont even care,just hey thats how it is.
and this is our next generation.

oh,and today in bernie madoff news,sorta,a new electric battery pack/chassis and truck that recharges in 15 minutes..supposedly.

theres a ATLIS company spamming the he!! out of fb currently.
they promise you % bonus Stocks for each Level that you Invest in.
sound familiar ??
they say they are worth 950 mill,yet i cannot find any assets any further than the hype and former investments/commitments.
and yet i would wager that quite a few young people will invest,simply because of the hype and promises.

ATLIS is revolutionizing battery technology from the ground up with the world’s first AMV Cube Cell, capable of charging from 0-100% in less than 15 minutes and providing consistent performance in any environment. ATLIS Energy, a stand-alone business unit with over $300 million in battery cell and pack commitments, enables us to reimagine what a work vehicle looks like with the ATLIS XT pickup truck and bring the future standard of vehicle capabilities to alternative mobility markets such as box trucks and emergency vehicles with the XP Platform.

in their list of Achievements tho,there is No mention of any milestone for the claimed 500 mile range...and thats on the Same Page.
the last milestone that was Registered was this nugget.
November 2020 – 8 Minutes 55 Seconds charge time registered

We successfully demonstrated an 8 minute, 55 seconds charge time on a prototype cell

which doesnt spec Anything out could have been a battery pack for a Drone....
any thoughts on this newest " contender " ??

https://investinatlis.com/?fbclid=IwAR1dnSPdtNhWQI_yvCU7XE9dFgKZF8mRfPitGTkzCa7qsrI_rmWZCsOoeOo

What happens when somebody coming at you in the other lane decides to cuts in front of you? No signal and there's no way to stop in time, bet it won't maneuver you out of it. I had that happen but was able to maneuver around the a--hole by going into his lane. Slid the car sideways when driver's side rear tire locked up. Today's anti-lock brakes might not allow a maneuver like that. For sure a hands free response wouldn't work and the time for you to react the collision already happened.

My take on autonomous vehicles. I'm sure they will be able to recognize a school bus, but can they also recognize if it is loaded with kids or just the driver? So the self driver A.I. is going to make a decision to hit you and not hit the school bus, that may not have any kids on it. It is unacceptable to have a computer make that decision IMO. Sure you can say that a inexperienced or bad driver can make the wrong decision, but that is human nature and not a program.
The lawyers will bury this technology by bleeding it dry.

What happens when somebody coming at you in the other lane decides to cuts in front of you? No signal and there's no way to stop in time, bet it won't maneuver you out of it. I had that happen but was able to maneuver around the a--hole by going into his lane. Slid the car sideways when driver's side rear tire locked up. Today's anti-lock brakes might not allow a maneuver like that. For sure a hands free response wouldn't work and the time for you to react the collision already happened.
One of the reasons I do NOT like all that crap. I disconnected the rear anti-brake controller on my 95 Dakota years ago. Can't stand that pulsating pedal and when it first comes on it makes me react by letting off. It kinda feels like the rear end is starting to wheel hop to me and well, normal reaction is to back off the brakes a bit when that happens. When I started asking questions about doing that I got all kinds of push back on the subject. Hey, grew up with manual cars and learned to handle them and well, that's just the way it is. That's one of the reasons the Viper is still one of my favorites....

Auto Transport Service
Back