• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever heard of a fender tag missing from the factory?

Bart K

69 Coronet more door.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
A friend says his car (he bought new in 1969) never had a fender tag. He says the engine compartment has the original paint in the screw holes where the fender tag should go. Thoughts????

What car does he have? There is one plant where that could happen.....

A friend says his car (he bought new in 1969) never had a fender tag. He says the engine compartment has the original paint in the screw holes where the fender tag should go. Thoughts????

The tag was necessary for paint, trim and tracking. How was his car built if there was no tag to communicate the information?

The tag was necessary for paint, trim and tracking. How was his car built if there was no tag to communicate the information?
Lynch Road cars had the tag hanging from the steering column or mirror bracket, they were screwed on after the car was done. Maybe some cars got out without having the tags attached?

Lynch Road cars had the tag hanging from the steering column or mirror bracket, they were screwed on after the car was done. Maybe some cars got out without having the tags attached?
Why I stated the screws were in the holes before paint..... so paint wouldn't be as the OP states the car has.

The paint in the holes raises questions....Was the car repainted?.....Did they forget to put in screws as well?.....Logically the person handling the tag would also handle the screws, right? Or did the owner get the tag stolen?

If he has the BS and the vin stampings match then IMHO he has enough documentation.....

car was prob wrecked early in life and repaired.. tag got lost /tossed

The steering comlumn and mirror bracket was not anywhere near the car when the fender tag was hanging inside of it.

The car was stolen early in it's life and it was repainted, but only the outside panels, not under the hood, trunk or door jambs. I know this sounds like a crazy story, but I am just telling you what he is telling me. Other than the 2 weeks when the car was stolen, he has had the car in his possession.

The car was stolen early in it's life and it was repainted, but only the outside panels, not under the hood, trunk or door jambs. I know this sounds like a crazy story, but I am just telling you what he is telling me. Other than the 2 weeks when the car was stolen, he has had the car in his possession.
Why was this left out of your first post?......That in itself explains it...... Knowing that I have to go by what the car itself speaks versus the current owner....The tag was removed after it left the factory during the time it was stolen/repainted and not replaced....

The paint in the holes raises questions....Was the car repainted?.....Did they forget to put in screws as well?.....Logically the person handling the tag would also handle the screws, right? Or did the owner get the tag stolen?

If he has the BS and the vin stampings match then IMHO he has enough documentation.....

If the tag was stolen, would the screw holes still look painted, or could you tell a screw had been in the hole? He looked behind the glovebox for the build sheet and did not find it. I don't know if he has looked under the rear seat. Any other locations a build sheet may be tucked away???

Why was this left out of your first post?......That in itself explains it...... Knowing that I have to go by what the car itself speaks versus the current owner....The tag was removed after it left the factory during the time it was stolen/repainted and not replaced....
The owner is saying it was NOT repainted under the hood. Again, I am telling you what he told me. The reason I did not mention it in the first post was because it did not matter for the question I asked about the possibility of a car leaving the factory without a fender tag. I just wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of such a thing or thought such a thing was possible.

If the tag was stolen, would the screw holes still look painted, or could you tell a screw had been in the hole? He looked behind the glovebox for the build sheet and did not find it. I don't know if he has looked under the rear seat. Any other locations a build sheet may be tucked away???
I don't care what the owner knows of what he thinks was repainted.....Obviously, during the repaint that area received paint or touch up............I have to call BS on the owner.....

BS can be anywhere......glovebox, under rear seat, under bucket/front bench seat bottoms. or even behind the seat back cover on bucket seats.....If a LR built car, most BS got tossed at the factory

Auto Transport Service
Back