• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone used regular Krylon or Rustolium as engine paint?

33 IMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
I have a maxwedge that needs a repaint.
I have a half a can of the race hemi Mopar paint left, P4120751, assuming that it will still spray (I'm betting it wont). I was not impressed with it when I could get it, and now IF it is available, is outrageously priced.
I also have a new can of Omaha Orange, from Bob Mazzolini, that he says is correct, but the engine in his showroom supposedly painted Omaha, doesn't look like my race hemi, way too reddish orange. (I will admit I haven't tried it yet.)
I remembered getting a recommendation for Krylon Pumpkin as a good match, but was told it was discontinued. Well, son of a gun, there's a can of Krylon Fusion (supposedly with primer combined) in Popsicle orange that looks close. Wait! there's Pumpkin too! Bought one of each.
Gonna shoot a test card of all four, see which I like.....
So, have you used the ordinary Krylon on an engine? Did you use primer, and if so, what? If you used regular Krylon, (or Rustolium) how did it turn out?
(If the Pumpkin is the right color, I can get twenty cans of it for $5/can).

Rustoleum in Liquid works very well if you first use a torch to dry out oils from block then use rustoleum rust protectant primer then top coat. Aerosols are too fragile wind up being junk.

I've used Rustoleum Industrial rattle cans on a couple race engines and it's held up fine.
I've used Krylon for brackets & pulleys, and a couple times to touch up Mopar Turquoise, it's quite close.
I always fog some primer on first, after a thorough cleaning/degreasing/bead-blasting/whatever (depends on the situation).
"Pumpkin" sounds like the brownish cast of orange that Maxies & early 426 Race Hemis wore, but haven't seen it.
Yeah, MP paint: buy 8, 4 might work....

it's all about the primer, IMO

I'd use brake clean on the bare cast and dry it good

a light coat of epoxy will stick to just about anything and hold up to the heat; at that point a quality spray bomb will hold up pretty good

What are the chances we can petition the vp`s at Rustoleum to change the color name from "Pumpkin" to "Max Wedge Orange"?? LoL :poke:

I just brushed a 327 block with rustoleum rusty metal primer then gloss sunrise red paint. Omaha orange is very close to Hemi orange.
Here is a link from where I got the idea.

A friend whose engine advice I value greatly recently revealed he uses automotive finish paint for engine paint with excellent results and longevity.

Bill Hirsch turquoiseon my engine, around $30, still have half a can + left.
I'll never go back to spray paint.

We didn't use any primer on my engine. Brake clean is good, I used a wax and grease remover.

Current picture of Max with Krylon Medium Pumpkin Orange intake and valve covers. I think applied w/o primer.

MAX 2022-1.JPG

We didn't use any primer on my engine. Brake clean is good, I used a wax and grease remover.
I do the same…..with rust oleum spray
never had a problem with that method.
still can’t find anything that works well on the manifolds though.

Bill Hirsch turquoiseon my engine, around $30, still have half a can + left.
I'll never go back to spray paint.
Bill Hirsch does NOT list, or sell, RACE hemi orange. Believe me, I have looked. Would have bought his paint in a heartbeat.
Tried Frank Badalsons site also. Again, no RACE hemi orange.

Last edited:
I do the same…..with rust oleum spray
never had a problem with that method.
still can’t find anything that works well on the manifolds though.
KBS Xtreme. Follow the instructions, brushes on, dries smooth. I've had it on several cars for nearly ten years.

KBS Xtreme. Follow the instructions, brushes on, dries smooth. I've had it on several cars for nearly ten years.
We used MotorCoater shot with a paint gun.
Looks like good stuff, I'd give it a try, lots of colors, but.......
Again, no RACE hemi orange which is not either of the street hemi oranges, or Chevrolet orange either.

I just brushed a 327 block with rustoleum rusty metal primer then gloss sunrise red paint. Omaha orange is very close to Hemi orange.
Here is a link from where I got the idea.

This is what the block looks like afterwards.
1658621476325.jpeg

1658621598154.jpeg

1658621712277.jpeg

Avoid using primer. Thinner the better as it will dissipate the heat better. Key is the metal being clean. Torching out the grease is good, also brake clean and finish with wax and grease remover. This isn't an option for all but I use single stage PPG Deltron. Never had an issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back