• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Having problems with new MSD plug-n-play distributor and blaster 2 tube coil kit from Jegs. Installed into70 Bee with previous electronic ignition?

Would also recommend replacing wire with new. If having strange electrical problems.

Had charging problem caused by wires having internal corrosion. Outer insulation looked ok, but inside the wire was discolored with some green here and there. Also had to use relay for full battery voltage for coil and alternator as all connections and switch were old and discolored in addition to bad wire. 71 Plymouth FYI
Thanks for the information. The car sat for many years and will check wire conditions that could be hidden under insulation or connectors.

Thank you RemCharger. I follow the information there. My only additional question is: Do I also remove the mopar electronic module and pin harness from the firewall along with removing the ballast resistor, with the MSD kit? (Picture attached) Thanks.

View attachment 1522226
Yes you can. It appears you have a conversion style new wiring harness. It helps to have an understanding of what changes they made.

SBF,
Post 11. The Blaster 8253 coil is for CD [ Capacitor Discharge ] igns such as the MSD box igns, eg 6AL. It will not work with your dist, as it is an inductive ign system. Different characteristics, different requirements.
A better coil than the Blaster 2 canister coil is the MSD #8207 Blaster SS & will work with your new dist. This is an E core coil & is faaaaaaar more efficient than canister coils. That is why modern cars use them....

SBF,
Post 11. The Blaster 8253 coil is for CD [ Capacitor Discharge ] igns such as the MSD box igns, eg 6AL. It will not work with your dist, as it is an inductive ign system. Different characteristics, different requirements.
A better coil than the Blaster 2 canister coil is the MSD #8207 Blaster SS & will work with your new dist. This is an E core coil & is faaaaaaar more efficient than canister coils. That is why modern cars use them....
Thanks Geoff 2
For the information and appreciate your time and valuable information in trying to help resolve the problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back