• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hayden fan clutch hardware

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
6:43 PM
Reaction score
I bought the short Hayden fan clutch 2747. It's overall height is 2.71". The stock height Hayden 2747 is about 5/8" taller at 3.34", by the way.

I'm having a hard time finding the right studs and bolts combination to install this on my water pump. I bought the Mopar oem fan bolt kit that comes with 4 5/16"-18 bolts. I also, purchased a oem stud kit with conical washers but the studs are a 5/16"-24 thread all the way down and the Hayden fan clutches are 5/16"-18 thread.

So, I bought a Dorman 23733: Water Pump Stud Kit - 5/16-18 x 7/16 and 5/16-24 x 5/8 Overall Length of 1-1/4
water pump stud kit.

I can install the fan on the clutch with short bolts. However, there's not enough clearance between them and the flange to get a bolt or a nut onto a stud in the water pump flange.

I know the short Hayden fan clutch 2947 is very popular. So, I wonder what you guys did to get things installed.

Thanks

Fan clutch clearance.jpg

Fan clutch clearance between bolts.jpg

It's always a bugger getting them on the water pump. I use bolts. Barely start one and then work around. You have to hold the fan away from the pump as you go to get enough clearance to get the other bolts in. Then tighten each one a bit as you continue around to the next. Not a fun job.

It's a Pain, bolted the fan to the clutch with these washers

I bought 2 packs(8 bolts total) of these.
C-8137ENGINE FAN CLUTCH > WATER PUMPPLACE BOLTS4$8
btnAddToCart.png
camera.jpg

AMK Products # C-8137

5/16-18 X 3/4 GR5 PLACE BOLT ZC. 4 pk
1662757683065.png

I bought the short Hayden fan clutch 2747. It's overall height is 2.71". The stock height Hayden 2747 is about 5/8" taller at 3.34", by the way.

I'm having a hard time finding the right studs and bolts combination to install this on my water pump. I bought the Mopar oem fan bolt kit that comes with 4 5/16"-18 bolts. I also, purchased a oem stud kit with conical washers but the studs are a 5/16"-24 thread all the way down and the Hayden fan clutches are 5/16"-18 thread.

So, I bought a Dorman 23733: Water Pump Stud Kit - 5/16-18 x 7/16 and 5/16-24 x 5/8 Overall Length of 1-1/4
water pump stud kit.

I can install the fan on the clutch with short bolts. However, there's not enough clearance between them and the flange to get a bolt or a nut onto a stud in the water pump flange.

I know the short Hayden fan clutch 2947 is very popular. So, I wonder what you guys did to get things installed.

Thanks

View attachment 1340163

View attachment 1340164
Just my opinion.....you do not need the hex cap screw, the split collar lock washer and shake proof washer.....just use the cap screw, shake proof washer AND orange Loctite on the threads. Or try Tony's parts for the correct mounting hardware.....fan blades to clutch and fan clutch hub to water pump.....
BOB RENTON

Just my opinion.....you do not need the hex cap screw, the split collar lock washer and shake proof washer.....just use the cap screw, shake proof washer AND orange Loctite on the threads. Or try Tony's parts for the correct mounting hardware.....fan blades to clutch and fan clutch hub to water pump.....
BOB RENTON
I have all the factory correct hardware. As I said, the studs don't work with the new clutch.

I appreciate all of your attempts to help but, so far, none of you have said you're using the short fan clutch. That creates the whole problem. I think I would need bolts with 3/8" of thread to install this clutch to the wp.

I forgot to point out the distance between the fan bolts and the front of the clutch flange is only 1/2" but that raised machined area gets in the way of every bolt I've tried to squeeze in there.

I measured the distance from the front of the fan clutch and blades to the radiator and ordered the taller clutch I mentioned before. I'm hoping it will give me the room I need to bolt the thing together and be done.

I appreciate all of your attempts to help but, so far, none of you have said you're using the short fan clutch. That creates the whole problem. I think I would need bolts with 3/8" of thread to install this clutch to the wp.
I can guarantee that you can get bolts in there. I am running that clutch on all 3 of my cars. I'm surely not going to take one out to measure for you, but I believe they are 1 inch long....

20220909_203251.jpg

20220909_203209.jpg

I have all the factory correct hardware. As I said, the studs don't work with the new clutch.

I am. But I forgot what I used.

You use the stock place bolts, start one with like 2 threads, hold the clutch about 1/2" away from the water pump pulley as stated earlier, start the other 3, then tighten each one, one turn at a time until tight. Not fun but it can be done.

I found another problem. The bushing is about 1/16" too long. The clutch rocks and doesn't sit flush against the wp flange. You can see it in my photos.

I found another problem. The bushing is about 1/16" too long. The clutch rocks and doesn't sit flush against the wp flange. You can see it in my photos.
I have run across that as well. Just removed a bit of the bushing on my bench belt sander.

Well i installed one of these in my car.
Unfortunately i do not recall all the details...

I also used short bolts to bolt the fan to the clutch. (I don't recall if i used washers or not)
I then used "some" bolts, maybe the originals, maybe others to bolt the clutch to the water pump.
I also recall getting the bolts in there was very tricky/tight. But somehow got it done in the car, one by one using 2 people.

In your picture the bolt holes of your flange are inline with your fan bolts.
You can move around the clutch flange so it's not in line with your fan bolts giving you a bit more clearance.

We also had to trim down that golden clutch insert a little in order to create a flat mounting surface to the water pump.

I just received the taller clutch. It has the correct size bushing that sits flush in the hole. I plan on installing it tomorrow. Too late to return the short clutch to Rock Auto. So, it might end up in a for sale thread.

P. S. Why does Hayden ship their fan clutches with a bushing and 4 lick washers? Why not include bolts to install the fan, too?

I tried the tall clutch and had 5/8" clearance from the radiator. That would have solved the installation issue with the bolts but caused a worse situation. So, I took the advice of the experienced and finally installed the short clutch. I used the AMK repro 7/8" bolts and the lock washers that came with the clutch to fasten the it to the water pump. I also shaved down the bushing, as suggested.

Thanks everyone.

BTW, I'm working on Uncle Bill's 340 Cuda using a new 26" Cold Case radiator, which, I can't recommend due to the fact oem shrouds (I trued 3) do not fit properly. I modified the one CC recommended, which was out of stock everywhere. So, I paid $225 for a cracked used shroud. I got it installed but it has 1/2" gaps along both sides.

Glad you got it on there. You should be fine but look up the definition of "place bolt" like the factory fan bolts and amk repros are, they do not need lock washers.

Glad you got it on there. You should be fine but look up the definition of "place bolt" like the factory fan bolts and amk repros are, they do not need lock washers.
Hayden provided the washers for a good reason.

I don't want to argue, I thought maybe you did not understand how place bolts work. Spend a little time and research place bolts and how they work. They are used in critical areas like flywheels, power steering control valve castings, fan clutchs, stuff you really do not want coming loose.

Auto Transport Service
Back