• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

head lights and dash lights flickering help

james133

Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
When i turn on the head lights they dont work unless i hit the brights then the head lights the dash lights come on but they will flicker ... the people in front of me think im flashing them. i dont knoe wher to begin to tri to correct it could it be a lose ground and why won't the regular ligts work both bulbs work fine when the brights are on

Could be your dimmer switch is bad.

Check parking brake switch, head light switch and dimmer switch all are connected there are two wires that leave the switches out to the head lights a red and a violet with a stripe. Definitively a loose connection when you hit the highs since they are connected that's why the lows work, you must have a bad switch or loose connection.

Review these 69 were pretty much the same even though this is for a RR

http://mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerB.JPG

http://mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerA.JPG

is the car the one in your avatar?....the charger???

check for loose connections in the switch...toe switch....dimmer switch.....

i would guess to say its in the headlight switch itself....being the dash lights are somehow related to the issue.

check ALLLLLL GROUNDSSSSSS !! related to the headlights and dash lights.

did it just start doing this ?...or has this been an ongoing problem ?

yes it just started doing this just bought the car 6 months ago its been winter by me so really havent driven it much but the dash lights never worked the head lights worked fine low and brights .. i just put in brand new carpet my self first time out with the car that night i put the lights on and noticed they were not coming on so i hit the foot switch and the brights came on and now the dash lights are working where they weren't working at all lol but when i hit the foot swicth everthing goes off the dash lights and head lights as for the dimmer switch it doesnt do a thing i roll it up and down nothing

check those things i mentioned and let me know if ya need more help!

Sounds like the high beam switch or the the dimmer switch on the dash. Start with the high beam switch first it's cheaper.

yes it just started doing this just bought the car 6 months ago its been winter by me so really havent driven it much but the dash lights never worked the head lights worked fine low and brights .. i just put in brand new carpet my self first time out with the car that night i put the lights on and noticed they were not coming on so i hit the foot switch and the brights came on and now the dash lights are working where they weren't working at all lol but when i hit the foot swicth everthing goes off the dash lights and head lights as for the dimmer switch it doesnt do a thing i roll it up and down nothing

I bet it's related to the carpet install. Maybe frayed a wire or knocked one loose around the dimmer switch on the floor.

fixed it this weekend it was the foot switch once i pick up the carpet i noticed the bad connection thanks for all the help

Auto Transport Service
Back