• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Removal Help/Questions

69'Net

Local time
6:34 PM
Reaction score
So i recently noticed some white vapor from my passenger side exhaust. The engine is a mild 440 with true duals. I pulled the plugs and saw water on the #4 cylinder. I did a leak down test, three cylinders came back 20%, #4 was 45%. I'm planning on pulling the head off. I'm thinking it could be a cracked head or a bad gasket? Should I pull both heads? If it is a gasket should I resurface the head?

Any tips you have would be great, this is a first for me. I have my mopar book, which helps too. BTW, they are stealth aluminum heads, the car maybe has 1500 miles on the rebuild.

Before you pull the head, did you check the torque on the bolts? (Check both sides if one is loose they are probably both loose)
With only 1500 miles, I would think the head should be straight.

Do you see any water around the exhaust ports? I dont know if Stealths require this but it may need sealant on the manifold bolts that goes through water jackets...

Do you see any water around the exhaust ports? I dont know if Stealths require this but it may need sealant on the manifold bolts that goes through water jackets...

Steath bolt holes do not enter the water jackets

Before you pull the head, did you check the torque on the bolts? (Check both sides if one is loose they are probably both loose)
With only 1500 miles, I would think the head should be straight.
Ok, I'll run through it before I tear it apart. Thanks

I'd pressure test the cooling system before anything. How did you "see" water on the plug? If water is in the chamber the plug will look like it came out of the box, clean. There are also test kits availible at most auto parts that will detect combustion gasses in the coolant system. If the chamber is getting coolant inside, the coolant will be seeing combustion gas.
Doug

I'd pressure test the cooling system before anything. How did you "see" water on the plug? If water is in the chamber the plug will look like it came out of the box, clean. There are also test kits availible at most auto parts that will detect combustion gasses in the coolant system. If the chamber is getting coolant inside, the coolant will be seeing combustion gas.
Doug
There was water on the plug when I took it out. I rolled the motor over with the leak down line threaded into the spark plug hole, I left it unhooked at the other end. When it went through the compression stroke it shot water everywhere.

I believed you the first time.
Do you know what type of gasket was used?

What does the engine builder say? Could be gasket, cracked head or block as well. Hope not.
Doug

What does the engine builder say? Could be gasket, cracked head or block as well. Hope not.
Doug
I just got ahold of him, he told me to pull the head and bring it in. He also said he used a standard permatex gasket 8519

I pulled the head, gasket looks fine. Cylinder wall looks fine. It has to be something in that head, guess we'll find out.

Update for anyone interested, the head was cracked behind the seat. They are 440 source stealth heads. I called them, they told me they would give me 5% off on a new one. Also, I bought a new timing cover from them, it doesn't fit. Last time I probably buy anything from them, get what you pay for I guess.

Thanks for the update and sorry for your bad luck. So what heads will you be going with this time around?

Don't forget to change oil &filter on reassembley

Auto Transport Service
Back