• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headed to the Texas Mile!

feets

Local time
4:56 AM
Reaction score
The Texas Mile is this weekend and I'm on the list. Think of it as a one mile drag race run one car at a time.
The Imperial still lacks an engine and my D250 wouldn't be very interesting with the little Cummins topping out at 92 mph.
This means I'm stuck running the 2013 CL65.
Think of it as a Mercedes S-class coupe with a twin turbo 6 liter V12 breathed on by AMG. It's bone stock with the exception of a limited slip diff.
Stats:
5090 on the scales.
5 speed auto
2.65 rear gear
Enough torque to make my Cummins blush.
1/4 mile is steady 11.80s @ 120 mph.
Dragy results show 110-120 is 1.6 seconds and 120-130 is 1.9 seconds.

My personal target is 29.6 @ 172 mph.

Friday morning looks good with 50 degree temps. However, Sunday will likely see the hero passes made with the forecast 20 mph tailwind.

Staging lanes will be a zoo so I'm not likely to get more than 2-3 passes per day.
We'll see how it goes. I've got the car prepped like I do for the Big Bend Open Road Race. Every wheel and tire has been double checked for runout and balance. A proper alignment was done followed by a full nut and bolt check.

I'm ready. The car is ready.

What are your guesses, ignoring a tailwind?

listings-1.jpg

Kevin Alexander 2013 CL65 Baselines.jpeg

I have never done a mile, but I have done standing 1/2 mile events. These events recorded MPH only, not time. I have done it in two cars. First was a bone stock 2012 Caddy CTS-V. That car did 135mph. The other car was a C6 Corvette modified with a cam, headers, centrifugal supercharger and Meth injection (680rwhp). That would go 155-158mph.

Here is a video of a run in the C6. Fast forward to 6 minutes into the video for the run. 2 items of note in the video. Check out the stretching of the tire at speed. Also, those cones disappear into the distance REALLY fast.

Our performance shop guy went down with 1200? 1500? Rwhp mustang and I think he was real close to the 200mph mark.
172 sounds optimistic, it will be interesting to hear the results!

Hey @feets ! How ya doing!? Hitting TM has been something on my bucket list for many years now but ain't got nutin that's worthy of taking there. Can't remember if I had my 97 Cummins when you stopped by here but I still have it! Is your 250 the same truck that you had back then when you showed me how much boost it was running?? That surprised me! lol

DJ

I think your target is realistic. 172mph in the mile for that car with the acceleration/horsepower it has would be well within it's capabilities. It's the acceleration at high speeds (above 100mph) that's most important on these distance measured runs, as you're covering so much ground at the higher speeds you can't afford to be accelerating slowly.

You hopefully hit 172mph in the mile for instance, but if your target was 180mph, 190mph, 200mph etc, it's a different story, as at 172mph you're traveling 84 yards per second, and for each mph you eke out, the distance obviously increases. So if your acceleration is slow between say 150mph and 170mph, you might only hit 160mph in the mile. To hit 172mph in the mile you might need 500hp. To hit 190mph in the mile you might need 800hp. In the Mustang in the example above even 1200 or 1500hp wasn't enough to hit 200mph in 1 mile.

Aerodynamics and gearing are going to play a huge part too.

Good luck, and stay safe.

I think your target is realistic. 172mph in the mile for that car with the acceleration/horsepower it has would be well within it's capabilities. It's the acceleration at high speeds (above 100mph) that's most important on these distance measured runs, as you're covering so much ground at the higher speeds you can't afford to be accelerating slowly.

You hopefully hit 172mph in the mile for instance, but if your target was 180mph, 190mph, 200mph etc, it's a different story, as at 172mph you're traveling 84 yards per second, and for each mph you eke out, the distance obviously increases. So if your acceleration is slow between say 150mph and 170mph, you might only hit 160mph in the mile. To hit 172mph in the mile you might need 500hp. To hit 190mph in the mile you might need 800hp. In the Mustang in the example above even 1200 or 1500hp wasn't enough to hit 200mph in 1 mile.

Aerodynamics and gearing are going to play a huge part too.

Good luck, and stay safe.
Thanks.
I was telling my coworkers that the problem is not running the speed but is running out of room to do it.
I've already had this car to those speeds. It still pulls well up there.
In fact, I can tell you that it gets there easier than some higher hp cars with twice as many gears and weighing 1000 lbs less.
The published cd on this car is .29 or equivalent to a Prius. However, there is more frontal area.

Hey @feets ! How ya doing!? Hitting TM has been something on my bucket list for many years now but ain't got nutin that's worthy of taking there. Can't remember if I had my 97 Cummins when you stopped by here but I still have it! Is your 250 the same truck that you had back then when you showed me how much boost it was running?? That surprised me! lol

DJ
Yep! I bought this truck in 1997 and it's still with me.

Have fun! I did one of these events back in 06. Ran 199 and change with 850 rear wheel.

Would guess your estimate is in the ballpark. Is there a factory speed limiter?

Have fun! I did one of these events back in 06. Ran 199 and change with 850 rear wheel.

I had the same thought. Back in the 90's I had a 92 V8 Dakota and got an unpleasant surprise when the limiter tagged it out at 110 and the rpm wasn't that close to what it would go to in all the other gears. Same thing on a 95 Dodge Intrepid ES.

My factory speed limiter is 186 mph.

The limiter is easily disabled with a flash tune. Delimited, the AMG V12 cars have turned 212 to 217 mph before running out of gear.

It's been a tough go so far. I'm struggling for traction through the first 300 feet. Without the limited slip it would be hopeless.
Dragy says my 1/4 mile is 3/4 second slow and my 60-130 is off nearly 2 full seconds.
I wanted to see what the car does in stock form so I'm not doing any prep.
I'll change the shift points today and see what happens.

20240322_173951.jpg

Screenshot_20240322-184928_dragy.jpg

You're not far off your goals, less than 2 mph? I reckon you're going pretty good.

Almost nailed it dead on! Wow!

I think we're done for the day. Winds rolled from the side to head on. I started to find a little traction and shifted at 5100 to grab a pile of that torque. Computer shifts at 5800 and I think that's too far past peak power.
Inconclusive. There was a good head wind and I dropped 2 mph. I'll have to go over the data and see what I can find.

The car has been great and simply doesn't get bothered by the abuse.

This is probably it for the day.

Last edited:
Looking at 20 mph headwind tomorrow by late morning. I'll make a pass early.
Another racer I know thinks his 08 Z06 has 170+ in it. I don't think it does.
The hired shoe has been struggling with it and the elderly owner has been riding her pretty hard.
In fact, I jumped in the car with her in grid just to push him out of the way and settle her down.
I might make a pass in it tomorrow to see what I can do. I doubt I could beat her 169.9 mph pass.

20240323_142313.jpg

20240323_145129.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back