• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers and Coolant

kallio67

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
I started to remove my headers to replace a gasket when coolant started pouring out of the bolt hole. I never read that one is supposed to drain the coolant from engine when replacing a gasket. Before I continue, is this normal? About how much coolant should I expect to replace? The car is a 67 Coronet with a 383? Thanks.

One advantage to using 440 Source heads - blind bolt holes.

There's nothing like trying to find something shallow enough to shove under a car when your in a pinch. Any idea how much I can expect to come out....more or less than a gallon?

Eddy heads are blind too but it's really no big deal. For how much coolant will you lose? Look at the level your exhaust bolts are vs the top of your radiator. If you want to recover your coolant, drain it first.

I use Ultra Copper RTV on the threads when installing bolts.

Don't worry about it and yes, it's normal. I use studs sealed with pipe dope and never have an issue - and I run headers.

Auto Transport Service
Back