• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight Question?

Terry Kitzman

Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
I was able to repair both my headlight motors with help from the 66-67 Charger source guide. Everything works fine, But after the doors close and everything is turned off the motors get hot. Also my headlight hold open switch works opposite of how it's supposed to. Does any one have any ideas? Thanks.

sounds to me like you have a stuck relay
or possibly a bad limit switch
These will burn up your Motors so dont leave them hooked up until you get it sorted out
the relays are under the glove box and can be replaced with more modern relays (bosch)
The limit switches and modern relays with wiring harness can be purchased from Topher McGinnis

https://www.facebook.com/Headlight-Motor-Man-146997662079465/

Those relays are finicky. Im not sure who designed those futuristic wannbees. But there a pain.

sounds to me like you have a stuck relay
or possibly a bad limit switch
These will burn up your Motors so dont leave them hooked up until you get it sorted out
the relays are under the glove box and can be replaced with more modern relays (bosch)
The limit switches and modern relays with wiring harness can be purchased from Topher McGinnis

https://www.facebook.com/Headlight-Motor-Man-146997662079465/

Jeff Intwert in BC Canada does those too and more. He has been a great resource for me.

It does it even with the limit switches unplugged. Which should simulate an open switch. AS TN Mopar said, It could be a stuck relay. The previous owner had been working on these relays during his time with the car. Thanks Guys!

It does it even with the limit switches unplugged. Which should simulate an open switch. AS TN Mopar said, It could be a stuck relay. The previous owner had been working on these relays during his time with the car. Thanks Guys!
That was my problem. Cleaned connections and replaced the relays. Did replace one limit switch that did not click when I pressed on the button.

Do you have a wiring diagram?

concealed-headlight-jpg.jpg

What about the flip switch on the dash beside the headlight pull. Think it might be live?

I would suggest wiring in a test light on the open and close wires to each motor (Violet and Red/Tracer) so you can "see" what's going on with the open/close power.
Something is really odd...
Yes you could have a close relay that is stuck on but then the override switch would have no effect?
It sounds like the override switch might be wired right to ground.

I would suggest wiring in a test light on the open and close wires to each motor (Violet and Red/Tracer) so you can "see" what's going on with the open/close power.
Something is really odd...
Yes you could have a close relay that is stuck on but then the override switch would have no effect?
It sounds like the override switch might be wired right to ground.
I do have the override switch connected right to ground. Do you know how it should be connected? Thank you, Terry

It needs to be in series with the ground from the closing coil and the closed limit switches.
You will need to find the wire to the limit switches.
By wiring it to ground the limit switches will have no effect. (Motor is still powered when buckets are closed)

It needs to be in series with the ground from the closing coil and the closed limit switches.
You will need to find the wire to the limit switches.
By wiring it to ground the limit switches will have no effect. (Motor is still powered when buckets are closed)
That's my problem exactly. I had the main limit switch wire, black and white direct to ground, And the override switch direct to ground. I'll connect the override switch to the black and white from the limit switches. Thank you.

Auto Transport Service
Back