• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight upgrades

The nighthawks I mention are old style sealed beam halogens. Not the type that use a replacement bulb. H5001 and H5006 IIRC

You could certainly use those housings and a replaceable bulb. Have customers that have used them with good results.

The nighthawks I mention are old style sealed beam halogens. Not the type that use a replacement bulb. H5001 and H5006 IIRC

You could certainly use those housings and a replaceable bulb. Have customers that have used them with good results.
Halogen lamps are nothing new, they have been around for years. Halogen is a reference to several compounds called gases. They are Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine, Iodine, Astitine, and Tennessine. These gases, usually iodine, as in quartz iodine. Thiese compounds allow for higher filament temps which result in brighter light output. In spite of these changes, the Xenon lamp, is a High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp that produces a more intense light thru an arc inside a small glass tube, without the filament of a quartz halogen (tungsten filament) lamp. The HID lamp operates at a higher voltage but at a lower current. The HID lamp produces visable light similar to a welding arc. Most of the time "halogen" lamps are only considered because of their slightly lower first cost and simple installation, but in terms of the light output (lumens) vs dollars expended, the real bargain is the HID system. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

I'm agree on the HIDs for those worried about get a low current device. But just if ppl use those with conscience about the color temperature of them and getting correcly adjusted. I hate those guys using 6000K HIDs and incorrectly adjusted on oncoming traffic!!!! something into 2800-3500K is way more than enough and less agressive for the rest of ppl

I'm agree on the HIDs for those worried about get a low current device. But just if ppl use those with conscience about the color temperature of them and getting correcly adjusted. I hate those guys using 6000K HIDs and incorrectly adjusted on oncoming traffic!!!! something into 2800-3500K is way more than enough and less agressive for the rest of ppl

Who or what is "ppl". 6000° K HIDs is an excellent color choice most closely resembling sunlight. The optics of the enclosure and lense determines the projected beam spread.
BOB RENTON

But is not fun when you have the 6000K headlight focus straight to your eyes
:(

EDITING! The problem with the 6000K headlights straight to your eyes is not the 6000K per se, but your eyes which in the darkness get the iris totally open and suddenly the oncoming traffic come with them! Or even throught the rear view mirror

On iluminated highways that's not a huge problem because your iris is adjusted to the lighted environment, but on dark highways and roads this become dangerous. I really suffer with this.

Last edited:
Aircraft landing lights in high beam suit me just fine !
grin.gif
P9170528.JPG

Aircraft landing lights in high beam suit me just fine !
grin.gif
View attachment 979370

EXCELLENT installation.....Years ago I my commuting vehicle was a Ford. After a near miss with a deer, l retro fitted the 4 sealed beam head lights with Cibie H4 units, the high beam units with H2 units and above the bumper mounted, two Cibie 8" SUPER OSCAR's (aka air craft landing lights) fitted with 400 watt lamps each, relay controlled. I could project a beam almost 4 miles ahead of the car with all on, with pin point accuracy.....so much so opposing traffic thought the sun was coming up. Prudent usage was definitely required.
BOB RENTON

The LEDs I put on my 73 Satellite give good, tight beam that is low down to not blind oncoming drivers. And they are BRIGHT!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pnQZQisAfYNYBUkZ9

I like that the running lights are different than the typical angel eyes / halos. Here they are horizontal beams but hard to see in the vid. The drop-in replacement lights were these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CDDHHWK/ - note not an affiliate link, and I get nothing if you buy them

Auto Transport Service
Back