• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner Questions 70 Sport Sat

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I am now ready to tackle the headliner. As like most work never done this before. Been reading and researching. Would appreciate any tips that will help make this easier and successful.

Question:

1. In the picture is this clip part of the headliner?
2. Other than the two rear spring clips connecting the last bow to the roof and the small side clips are there any other clips that are used?

Thanks,
MF

IMG_9755.jpeg

The clip pictured is for the metal trim that covers the front edge of the headliner. The small side clips and the clips that the bows sit in. Have a bunch of wooden clothes pins to clip on the sides as you use a little headliner glue on the pinch welds. Start from the rear and work forward. Take your time. You can work out any small wrinkles by gently applying heat with a hair dryer once the headliner is in. It also helps a bunch to put screws in all the holes where the sun visers and seat belt attaching points also the dome light. Makes it much easier to find the holes once the headliner is in place. Make a little cut on the screw head and take it out and you have the proper place for the visers etc…

Lay the headliner out on a clean surface and mark the centerline with white chalk, front and back.
Mark the roof centerline with two pieces of masking tape and a sharpie.
Put the bows in and hang the centered headliner by the two rear springs that are attached to the last bow.
Remove those clips that are at the front of the car. Those will be re-installed over the new headliner later.
Stretch and glue the headliner down front-to-back and side-to-side.
20210621_142103.jpg
20210621_201848.jpg
20210130_125959.jpg

Last edited:
Great comments guys! Thank you!!

Hey guys I noticed that there are two approaches given for the direction and where to start stretching from. Either front to back or back to front. I am now ready to strech and noticed the way this was cut that I have like 1 inch of material in the front and plenty in the back. Given this I am wondering what the best approach should be.

IMG_9812.jpeg

IMG_9811.jpeg

This is the important area. The tack strips hold it in place, when you’re comfortable with placement you need to glue it also. Check the wrinkles, you may need to shift it a little to relax the wrinkles. Stretch about 12 inches up the center first.
9EEDD61C-D3BA-437F-8B98-4626098365D5.jpeg

Start in the center and slowly work to the outside. You will need to work the sides as you go. I took my time with mine and no hair dryer was needed. If you need to work on it tomorrow also, that is ok.take your time and it will workout great.

Start in the center and slowly work to the outside. You will need to work the sides as you go. I took my time with mine and no hair dryer was needed. If you need to work on it tomorrow also, that is ok.take your time and it will workout great.
Thanks man. So front to back is what your indicating right? Since I don’t have a lot of material in front that would probably be a good thing but just wanted to understand what you are saying.

Yes, the two spring hooks in the back should hold everything in place as you gently pull. After you get some in place on the front go to the back and then back to the front and then to back and then do the sides from the middle out. This trim piece covers a lot of the front.

2F8E6B41-D566-4856-B9FD-11D143377397.jpeg

E13AAA54-A560-4F87-85AF-9F1D1D40F0B2.jpeg

The two wire springs attached to the rear bow locates the headliner at the back. You need to stretch it forword
and side to side and then glue it down. I used alot of paper clamps to keep the headliner taught.

What actually holds the headlinder in place the glue or the clips/teeth?

Or is it more like the glue is for long term strength and stability?

Guys I found these with my headliner HW and I didn’t put much of a description on the baggie. Where are these supposed to go?

IMG_9826.jpeg

So while I have your interest guys this is my question on installation. I have it stretched out good and paper clipped in and almost no wrinkles.

What do I do next? How do I get the headliner spray on both surfaces without loosening or loosing my stretch?

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back