• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help decoding VIN and Trim tag.

frenchie007

Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
Hi, looking at a 1969 chassis that has VIN XS29L9G153818. Current VIN info confirms 2 door hardtop Charger with 440, 375 hp, 4 bbl carb, 3 speed automatic but after that I am stuggling to figure out the rest. Any help would be appreciated.
Trim Plate.jpg

Welcome to the forum. That is a nicely equipped 69 Charger R/T. Are you looking for the reference material so you can decode the rest yourself, or more looking for just the rundown completed?
Is this a car you're hoping to buy, or a car you already have? If buying, you should look at a couple other places for numbers. (I presume this VIN matches the VIN plate on the dash?
Not sure if repainted, or if that's some kind of primer - this car was originally dark green with a green interior and a black vinyl top. I believe that fender tag has been removed and reattached...pop rivets where originally would have been screws.

Please recheck the VIN number. VIN XS29L9G153018 makes sense. 818 does not.

I'll also go first...the tag should have screws and not rivets holding it on.

Green exterior, green interior, Black vinyl top, black stripe.
A36 AXLE package
A47 SE package.
H51 A/C

Nicely equipped.

Welcome to the forum. That is a nicely equipped 69 Charger R/T. Are you looking for the reference material so you can decode the rest yourself, or more looking for just the rundown completed?
Is this a car you're hoping to buy, or a car you already have? If buying, you should look at a couple other places for numbers. (I presume this VIN matches the VIN plate on the dash?
Not sure if repainted, or if that's some kind of primer - this car was originally dark green with a green interior and a black vinyl top. I believe that fender tag has been removed and reattached...pop rivets where originally would have been screws.
I am helping a family member assess whether they want to purchase the rolling chassis. It's missing a lot (a lot a lot) of small pieces and parts. Decoding the trim helps me determine what options it had and from there determine the larger missing pieces. It's a cost, PIA assessment and I am trying to give him sound advice.

Please recheck the VIN number. VIN XS29L9G153018 makes sense. 818 does not.

I'll also go first...the tag should have screws and not rivets holding it on.

Green exterior, green interior, Black vinyl top, black stripe.
A36 AXLE package
A47 SE package.
H51 A/C

Nicely equipped.
Here is the VIN plate, looks like I got it right

Vin.jpg

Then you have a disagreement between the fender tag and the vin

Whoops. Looked at the fender tag again. At first look it looks like 018, second look, could be 818 (far right number, bottom row)
Oct 22, 1968 scheduled assy date, at St Louis plant.

Hi, looking at a 1969 chassis that has VIN XS29L9G153818. Current VIN info confirms 2 door hardtop Charger with 440, 375 hp, 4 bbl carb, 3 speed automatic but after that I am stuggling to figure out the rest. Any help would be appreciated.View attachment 1564170

XS29:
Dodge Charger
Special, R/T
2 Door Sports Hardtop

L9G: 440 375HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
St. Louis, MO, USA

153818: Sequence number

E86: 440 cid 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375hp
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
F8: Dark Green Metallic (Dodge), Ivy Green Metallic (Plymouth), Jade Green Metallic (Chrysler & Imperial) Exterior Color
CRG: Trim - Charger, Leather Bucket Seats, Green
F8: Dark Green Metallic (Dodge), Ivy Green Metallic (Plymouth), Jade Green Metallic (Chrysler & Imperial) Int. Door Frames
A22: Build Date: October 22
080275: Order number

A01: Light Package
A36: Performance Axle Package w/3.55 Ratio
A47: Special Edition Package
B51: Power Brakes
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats

G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
J25: 3 Speed Wipers
L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M31: Belt Moldings

N85: Tachometer
R21: AM/FM Radio (5 1/2 Watts)
V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
V8X: Tranverse Stripes, Black
26: 26in Radiator

END: End of Sales Codes

Last edited:
BRG: Trim - Basic, Leather Bucket Seats, Green
That one's probably a typo; "C"RG = Charger trim, not Basic trim. Other than that, I think you got it all.

@frenchie007 - you or your friend should verify if the core support and the trunk gutter stamps also match the VIN. To see if it's the original body, or if someone re-bodied it in the past. That would affect the value to some.

That one's probably a typo; "C"RG = Charger trim, not Basic trim. Other than that, I think you got it all.

@frenchie007 - you or your friend should verify if the core support and the trunk gutter stamps also match the VIN. To see if it's the original body, or if someone re-bodied it in the past. That would affect the value to some.

Thanks, corrected. Between the white and the dirt I needed to break out the magnifying glass on a couple of them. :)

Hey- another 3.55 SG with AC car.

I had a 70 Bee like that.

Auto Transport Service
Back