• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cant remove cast valve cover with Felpro exhaust gasket. HELP!!

1968rt

Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
Did a mock up using Mopar cast valve covers and Felpro gaskets MS 90425. I cant remove the passenger valve cover unless I loosen the manifold. The extended gasket makes it too close to the valve cover. Any ideas?

IMG_7799.JPG

I had to grind the outer lip a bit between the 2 and 4 plug for it to work. Same valve covers and gaskets.

Get rid of those valve covers!

it just may keep the exhaust manifold from compressing the gasket evenly and cause an exhaust leak later.

Try the valve cover with bolts instead of studs, see if the cover will come on and off without the studs in the way.

Like Daliant says it’ll probably come off if you use bolts instead of studs, I’d just grind the valve cover where it hits and touch it up with black and none to the wiser. It probably won’t take much.

Trim gasket to fit the manifold. Hold the cover up as far as it will go against the studs before tightening down.
The combo of the two might get you there.

Headers=headache
Only if you are a cheapskate and buy them from Harbor Freight. CHEAP parts cost you more over the long run.
I put thousands of miles on my car with TTIs and the gaskets seal, don't blow out and they do not rattle.

Only if you are a cheapskate and buy them from Harbor Freight. CHEAP parts cost you more over the long run.
I put thousands of miles on my car with TTIs and the gaskets seal, don't blow out and they do not rattle.
i run the the HP manifolds, i don't care for headers. It's my preference, not trying to tell you what to use. Cheapskate? Really? Last time I checked HF doesn't sell headers just chevy stuff.

What I wrote wasn't wrong. You opposed my suggestion based on your opinion, not fact.
Pretty simple, really.
Dudes that like the look of the manifolds are free to make that choice.
Guys that want more performance have other options.

What I wrote wasn't wrong. You opposed my suggestion based on your opinion, not fact.
Pretty simple, really.
Dudes that like the look of the manifolds are free to make that choice.
Guys that want more performance have other options.
i didn't oppose ****, I just stated my opinion.

Fellas, fellas....some headers are crap and some are not.
Both they and factory manifolds have pluses and minuses, too.
Matter of preference. There is no single "correct" answer that fits all.

Remflex exhaust manifold gaskets on my 383 give plenty of clearance with those valve covers.

I'm with the Kern. Manifolds look and perform like **** compared to quality headers. No valve cover clearance issues to boot!
BTW Gus, it's "I".

Pretty twisty turny thread for sure.the guy just wanted help putting what he has together and move on, which some people answered with. Perfect.
All that aside,,, it should have headers. Don't recall a manifold on an aluminum head lol :D

my first thought....... after all; those covers blow the stock look anyway

I'd like to hear from @chargervert ........ hey Pete, do you feel the same about stock manifolds as you do about the dork dish hubcaps? :popcorn2:
I have those valve covers on my Charger R/T with stock HP manifolds on stock heads and they can be removed with no interference from the manifolds. The aftermarket heads are probably what is causing the issues. Trim the gasket back until it is flush with the edge of the valve cover. Dubb,HP manifolds don't make a car look less like a muscle car. Putting 383 two barrel log type manifolds on an HP engine to make it appear more stock and perform less is the equalivent of putting dog dish hubcaps on a muscle car!

Outside the box, maybe a removable heat shield?
1699454277489.png

Auto Transport Service
Back