• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP.. installing PST poly front end rebuild kit

1967coronet440

Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm installing the poly front end rebuild kit from PST on my 67, when I was installing the strut rod bushings i noticed the sleeve is really tight. The strut rod itself is tapered underneath the threads and the sleeve stops there. I mic'd it and the difference is only .020 but it seems tighter than it should is this normal? I just wanted to check with you guys before I smash it on. Also I destroyed one of my inner pivot shaft sleeves:BangHead:, where do I get a new set

IMG_1030.JPG IMG_1031.JPG

Hard to see in the pictures but, is the strut rod really clean? Wirewheel that are and maybe run some scotch brite over it.

Lower pivot shaft sleeves would only come with a new production style bushing. My Moog parts came with outer and inner sleeves.

Think o found the problem, bag says it's for an A body. Wtf

IMG_1032.JPG

It may be the same for the b-body. I noticed the same thing for my 65 when I got them from Prothane but some of the other stuff is mark A,B,E body. btw, if you look up the prothane and PTS website they have the same business address and the websites are setup the same.

It may be the same for the b-body. I noticed the same thing for my 65 when I got them from Prothane but some of the other stuff is mark A,B,E body. btw, if you look up the prothane and PTS website they have the same business address and the websites are setup the same.
That was my original thought maybe they're the same but I went to pst site and searched the part number and it says not compatible with my vehicle.. tried to call but they're closed on saturdays

It says not compatible with 67 coronet 440 but is compatible with 67 coronet 500, 67gtx, 67 satellite and 67 belvedere? You'd think they would all be the same

Hard to see in the pictures but, is the strut rod really clean? Wirewheel that are and maybe run some scotch brite over it.

Lower pivot shaft sleeves would only come with a new production style bushing. My Moog parts came with outer and inner sleeves.
I didn't clean it off that well, I was just mocking it up and noticed how tight it was. I'll add that it was 2:30am I seen the fitment issue and called it a night. I'm going back to clean it up and see what it looks like then.

That's a potential spot for the strut rod to either wear or bend.

If it's worn, you can clean it up with a file (it can wear a groove and push metal to the sides).

If it's bent, buy a replacement.

I have slightly thicker replacements (from a member here).

Ok this strut rod looks bad to me, let me know what you guys think. Also put a mic on the old sleeve and compared it to the new one, pretty big difference. What do you guys think?

IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1040.JPG IMG_1042.JPG IMG_1033.JPG

That's pretty crazy, is that from a front end impact?

Does the sleeve fit now that the shaft is cleaned up? Keep in mind that sleeve is to limit compression of the bushings. Obviously it's got to fit over the shaft though.

That's pretty crazy, is that from a front end impact?

Does the sleeve fit now that the shaft is cleaned up? Keep in mind that sleeve is to limit compression of the bushings. Obviously it's got to fit over the shaft though.
Nope still doesn't fit, the other side was worse I didn't snap a picture but the whole rod is bent. I'm thinking maybe someone ran over a parking block or something because the bump stop on the drivers side was destroyed as well, you could see it took a hard impact.
I guess I'll be replacing the strut rods now...

If you are still having issues with the strut rod bushings please either call our customer service or pm me and I will get you squared away.

Thanks
James

Ha, I noticed I messed this up Prothane and Energy Suspension are the 2 that are the same. PST is different. Sorry for any confusion.

Ended up replacing the strut rods with qa1 adjustables, very happy I did, everything else on the front end is done

I found the same problem on my 65 and also am putting on the QA1 adjustables.

Ya Ive been looking , think I'm going to order the super kit. I'll cal Monday I guess. Had my minds pretty well made up that I was going to get the adjustable too,.
Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back