• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Need some suggestions

Jimw

Local time
4:03 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1966 Satellite with a 440. On Sunday I took it to a car show on Saturday. Ran fine to show and on the way home. Oil pressure was normal at 40 psi. Temp never went above 180 deg. Did a little burnout on my street. Thought I heard a funny noise when I nailed the gas. Pulled in driveway and parked it. Started it yesterday and had no oil pressure and it was ticking slightly. Shut it off and checked oil and it was full. Pulled oil pump and it looks good in my opinion. I'm no mechanic. Showed it to a mechanic and he said it looked good. Any suggestions on what to check next. Thanks

Here are some pics. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I broke one on my Hemi the high bank oval at the Chrysler proving grounds in 1982 doing nearly 100.

Look to see if the hex tip is broken off the shaft and in the pump.

$_57.jpg

It should look like the one in the pic that RC posted. You have to pull the distributor to get at it from the top. Is there anything in the oil pump that doesn't belong there?

If you do pull the shaft make note of the distributor rotor at tdc and the shaft slot on the gear. Usually, the slot is parallel with the cam but not always. Make note and place back the same so timing is not altered.

As others stated it does sound like the culprit is the distributor shaft.,

Well I pulled the shaft and that looks good. Took the valve covers off and I dont see anything broke in there. IMG_1576.jpgIMG_1577.jpgIMG_1578.jpgIMG_1588.jpgIMG_1589.jpgIMG_1590.jpg

The shaft looks good only one other thing i can think of the sump in the pan is either broke off cracked or the sump is blocked .

I was going to suggest the sump blocked also as i had this happen to me on another engine one time. If i recall Buick V6's were known for plastic timing gears and when one went the broken plastic wound up in the pan. and clogged the screen in the sump arm.

Lets not forget to check the relief valve in the oil pump. A chunk of dirt between the seat and valve or a broken spring will cause sudden loss of pressure.

Auto Transport Service
Back