• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Needed: 73 Upper Control Arms

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
So I am rebuilding my entire front suspension on my 1973 Road Runner. Looks like someone (many moons ago) installed a ball joint in the upper control arm and then welded it to the arm. I suspect they stripped the threads so welded it to keep it in place.

I have searched for any replacement upper control arms and I have been unable to find any. I wouldn't mind a revised set that correct/ improve caster, but I'll take anything, including factory replacement.

Anybody have a source for replacement upper control arm(s)? I either need a new set, ready to go, or a used factory replacement LEFT upper control arm.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hawk

I may have some originals at Carlisle..

Check out Firm Feel, they’ve got tubular upper control arms for 73+

Thanks guys. I did what I thought was a fairly extensive internet search and came up with nothing. I obviously missed these. Much appreciated!
Yikes, at $450 though, those are pretty pricey. I've blown my budget on this thing already, so I might have to go the cheap(er) route here. At $300 or even $350 I might have made an excuse to get the better caster, but almost $500 (by the time shipping is added) is a tough pill to swallow right now.

I may have some originals at Carlisle..
Looks like I might be searching for a Left UCA at Carlisle! Happy to work out something in advance if you like. PM me if interested.

Looks like I might be searching for a Left UCA at Carlisle! Happy to work out something in advance if you like. PM me if interested.
Still digging parts out I will let you know what I find in the next 2 days..

I have one for you. Threads look usable. Feed the wife and I burgers on Saturday and I will bring it for you.

IMG_1686.jpg
IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_1688.jpg

Be aware that at some point they changed the design from thread in to press in (consensus seems to be late 73 to early 74) and sometimes its: A- hard to tell them apart, and B- easy for someone who thinks it's a press in to press out a screw in BJ.

It's also super easy to cross thread those odd, rounded threads.

Press in is lower control arm only. The 74 parts manual still calls for the 2298534 upper joint which is a screw in.

Well I have a PR if needed sounds like your good p.m. me if you need still. Found another frame that's 73 out back

Well I have a PR if needed sounds like your good p.m. me if you need still. Found another frame that's 73 out back
Thank you! Hopefully with T2R9's I'll be OK. If that doesn't pan out and I don't get a workable one by the time Carlisle is done I'll be in touch.

Thanks again!

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back