• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Needed: Need Transmission Neutral Safety Switch for '70 Dodge Charger - 727 Trans (all I try leak like crazy)

With the help of pnora and others on this board, I bought a NOS original Mopar NSS. I ordered it and the mechanic installed it and no leaks. I got the car back today and drove 35 miles and so far no leaks! Don't want to jinx it but so far so good. So thank you for the part numbers and recommendations! Thank God I was able to find a good old American part to install and the fix it. Went through two foreign NSS's with leaks.

I don't know whether the repro comes with the cupped seal that installs between the switch and trans. Without it, they will leak.

With the help of pnora and others on this board, I bought a NOS original Mopar NSS. I ordered it and the mechanic installed it and no leaks. I got the car back today and drove 35 miles and so far no leaks! Don't want to jinx it but so far so good. So thank you for the part numbers and recommendations! Thank God I was able to find a good old American part to install and the fix it. Went through two foreign NSS's with leaks.
Just got mine today, will install during the week and will update later on. My failures have not always happened immediately, most take sometime before they show up. Enclosed a pic of the nss I received. the part # is stamped on the collar. Fingers crossed.

s-l1600.jpg

Just got mine today, will install during the week and will update later on. My failures have not always happened immediately, most take sometime before they show up. Enclosed a pic of the nss I received. the part # is stamped on the collar. Fingers crossed.
don't see the pic - congrats though

This might sound strange. But try putting some super glue around the pins and the plastic base and let it seep in and dry before you install it. This might be enough to seal the crappy manufacturing tolerances of the switch. Maybe?

This might sound strange. But try putting some super glue around the pins and the plastic base and let it seep in and dry before you install it. This might be enough to seal the crappy manufacturing tolerances of the switch. Maybe?
Some super glues are rated for 275F so I can see that working at least for awhile. I would hate to trust that on long trips though. I cannot believe that that the Chinese ones leaks so bad. It's not that hard to make.

Update: Installed that nos nss about a month ago, have about 100 miles on it now and no leaking. Of course, now I just jinxed myself by reporting this. Fingers crossed.

Update: Installed that nos nss about a month ago, have about 100 miles on it now and no leaking. Of course, now I just jinxed myself by reporting this. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the follow up:thumbsup:

Did the same on my '70 Challenger this year too, same good results !!!

Get am OEM switch. Google these numbers and make sure it is oem and not an aftermarket replacement. 2932820, 2926495, 4057750
Thank You for your info on the part #s for oem switches. As I explained in post #8 and #19, #26. I did install a oem switch in May and I'm happy to report that I have experienced no seeping trans fluid from that switch. Aftermarket switches do have a seepage problem as some have reported. I have driven several hundred miles, and I am confident to report that this problem is solved. Just another China manufacturing problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back