• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! New 572 vibration at 3000 RPM

Usually engines are balanced in grams. Big difference between oz and grams..

Usually engines are balanced in grams. Big difference between oz and grams..
Really I hope that figure of 15 oz was a typo. That seems like a ton to me but I don't build engines of that level it might be normal.
Gus

Really I hope that figure of 15 oz was a typo. That seems like a ton to me but I don't build engines of that level it might be normal.
Gus
Probably grams, I don't know. Thought I heard Oz's but yea that seems like allot. Trying to remember now what 15oz vs 15g of weed look like. LOL

14 grams= 1/2 ounce, that's one way to learn the metric system!!

Hey Guys, I’m hoping someone can talk me off the ledge right now. Finally got the 572 INDy Max installed and running but I here is a really bad vibration that start around 2,000 and gets worse to 3,000 then starts to get better but never really goes away.

Short block was built by INDY the rest I assembled.

Callie’s Compstar Crank and Rods
Diamond Pistons
ATI balancer
Comp Solid Roller LowShock 285/[email protected] .711/.721 112 LSA installed at 109
440-1. 345cnc heads TD rockers

Not sure what to do at this point I’m supposed to be leaving for dragweek in 2 weeks but I can’t drive it like this for that long.

View attachment 1520490

View attachment 1520491

View attachment 1520492
Torqe convertor,drive shaft,rear axle,bent wheel....probably not something in the engine unless its fuel or ign related

Got an update yesterday. Crank was out 34g on the light side. Rings were washed out and moly was worn off. Cam was degreed at 109 IC in the block (at the lifter) but at the valve was 112. Everything else was perfect, LOL
Plan is to balance the crank, Hone the block (Slightly ) for new rings, Reassemble everything and (While we didn't talk about yet) get it on the dyno before sending it back....

So far INDY's been pretty upfront and taking care of business, I commend them for that! They never denied reasonability and promised to make it right. Only thing is they are taking their time with it, probably wont see it till January. I have hope.

Got an update yesterday. Crank was out 34g on the light side. Rings were washed out and moly was worn off. Cam was degreed at 109 IC in the block (at the lifter) but at the valve was 112. Everything else was perfect, LOL
Plan is to balance the crank, Hone the block (Slightly ) for new rings, Reassemble everything and (While we didn't talk about yet) get it on the dyno before sending it back....

So far INDY's been pretty upfront and taking care of business, I commend them for that! They never denied reasonability and promised to make it right. Only thing is they are taking their time with it, probably wont see it till January. I have hope.
Could someone explain how a cam could be at 109 at the lifter but 112 at the valve? I don't see how that's possible (i am not smart though)

The way it was explained to me is, at very high spring pressures, the tolerances of the lifter to the bore (side load), Lifter to push rod, pushrod deflection, rocker shaft bearing clearances and basically all the stacked tolerances in the valvetrain act to retard the timing at the valve more than at the cam. INDY says they do an initial degreeing to get it close, then verify at the valve once fully assembled, and make any fine tuning adjustments as needed. This is provided you are running a belt drive. They add a few degrees on a chain initially knowing this will happen. This is how it was explained to me....

Sure Hope you don't trace the vibration to the rotating Assembly after all else eliminated....Shaking fenders & Interior sounds pretty far off balance.....Having to pull engine down for Rebalance would be terrible ....If all fails to correct & With nothing to loose, could some "Trial" Weights be temporary placed to various positions on Flex plate and/or Harmonic balancer to get improved or acceptable smoothness ??

It was the rotating assembly, The motor is out and sent back to INDY a month ago. It was confirmed!

Wow what a **** show this has been. Should never have been an issue to start with and you’ve handled it far better than most of us would have. Hoping that the entire second time around is on their dime including dyno time to ensure it’s right this time around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Yea I'm not happy about it, but I figure at this point its better to be nice as I will need to deal with them in the future. I would hope they are covering the rebuild, Dyno time, And transportation both directions, We did not discuss any of this!. I'm just assuming at this point. BUT if my assumptions don't play out I will have to change tactics.....So far they are taking full reasonability. Believe me I will let everyone know how this works out.

They had motor since 9/27. I ask for an update on 1/2, was told " no real progress yet---- except everything is corrected----and ready to go back together----we will fit it in the best we can-----thanks kenny" WTF do I do with this? Why am i being (FIT IN) IMO I should be the first in line!

This was my answer:
Kenny, I think I've been pretty fair, understanding, and mostly patient. You have had the engine for almost 14 weeks now (3.5 Months). I understand I did not buy a fully assembled engine, but I did pay you almost $30,000 without question. I think we both agree that the issues were preventable and by no means my fault. It's been over a year that I pulled the trigger on this engine thinking I was getting the best of the best. I am a patient man but my patience is starting to wear thin. Please do your best to move this along. I understand things happen and I get it, BUT I would have thought I would have been taken care of as a higher priority given the circumstances.

Was I out of line or you think this was an acceptable response?

You have been more than patient with them but it's a fine line between being firm and rude so choose your words carefully on your next discussion on who's going to pay the freight this time. I have heard they don't move things along in a timely manner for small clients. You may have to make a road trip and pick it up yourself to start a fire under their asses. I have to do that with Liberty Gears when they have my parts, I'm always behind the pro-stock teams in order of shipping so I just say "I'm coming to pick it up ready or not"

Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back