• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on Steering Columb Horn Mechanism

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
I'm close to getting the '63 operational. I'm ready to place the reworked steering wheel, but need to assemble the items, and switch h for the horn operation. Into it apart 7 years ago, and missed taking pics of it, before dis-assembly. I'm not finding any specifics in the FSM on this. Does anyone have pics, diagrams, or schematics of this ? The upper switching, the black plastic round, with the 3 buttons is in question ? It would be a Great Help on this. Thanks for any input on this...

16900376789302005312715396646682.jpg
0722231041a.jpg
0722231043.jpg
0722231042.jpg
0722231042a.jpg

kk, awesome help there ! I bought a new trigger assembly from Joe S last week when we were there, so this should get me headed in right direction. I also had a note, with my parts, about putty between the wheel hub, and brass contact ring. What type, or can I substitute a rubber gasket ? Thanks for the Great info !!!

kk, awesome help there ! I bought a new trigger assembly from Joe S last week when we were there, so this should get me headed in right direction. I also had a note, with my parts, about putty between the wheel hub, and brass contact ring. What type, or can I substitute a rubber gasket ? Thanks for the Great info !!!

I didn't remove the contact ring so I don't know what's under it. The large spring clip that holds it on works as the turn signal cancelation so I didn't want to disturb its location. Hopefully someone who's had it apart will chime in.

I'll need to locate that clip correct then, Thanks for that bit, I would not have realized that.

I looked through the FSM, and still couldn't find that info. Any input on orienting the steel retainer ring properly, or is it just to hold the brass contact in place ? Did 1963 models have self canceling turn signals ?

I looked through the FSM, and still couldn't find that info. Any input on orienting the steel retainer ring properly, or is it just to hold the brass contact in place ? Did 1963 models have self canceling turn signals ?
Yes and that ring uses the extra wire (90* from the ring) to reset the TS switch after you turn. It should be centered between the plastic "ears" so it will push them when you return the steering wheel to center. Wait, were you referring to the 3 hole, flat, sorta triangular piece? It just retains the switch.

Mike

I would think it would be positioned at the three o'clock looking at it from the back.

Is there a "witness mark" by any chance?

20170908_095932.jpg

Mike, with 12 o'clock being TDC, would that stem be at 12, or 6 o'clock ? I'm not sure I have the plastic ears piece, but I have a spare column from a '65 Coronet ? Thanks for this info !!!

Yes and that ring uses the extra wire (90* from the ring) to reset the TS switch after you turn. It should be centered between the plastic "ears" so it will push them when you return the steering wheel to center. Wait, were you referring to the 3 hole, flat, sorta triangular piece? It just retains the switch.

Mike

I would think it would be positioned at the three o'clock looking at it from the back.

Is there a "witness mark" by any chance?

View attachment 1500563
I'll have to check this out when I get home, been camping for a few days before summer gets by us...
kk, great pics too ! I'm hoping that ear switch is under the old steering wheel, in place now, as I haven't seen it in my parts boxes, or bags ???

The brass/copper ring for the horn contact is available new, it comes with a new gasket to insulate it from the wheel and ring.

EB, the ring I have, along with the connecting wire is nice. Need some info on the gasket. Can I make one out of rubber, or use electrical putty, AKA elephant poop ???

How about several coats of liquid electrical tape? Try a small skinny bike tire tube and glue in place? Make the gasket out of silicone? Try the dipit tool handle dip? I will soon have to do this task for my wheel. Please post your solution.

So looking into the columb, the stem on ring will be placed at 9 o'clock, between the ears of switch. There may be a slight witness mark present also !

0729231243.jpg

Put it together yesterday. I cut some gaskets, to insulate the sensor ring, out of an old tire tube. Went together well, but no horn ? I've got to go through the wiring diagram to check this out...
0729231534.jpg
0729231536.jpg
0729231554.jpg
0729231630.jpg
0729231631.jpg
0729231741.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back