• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help picking which NEW HEMI for swap

Mach3107

Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
My dad wants a modern drivetrain in his 71 Satellite we are doing. He wants a big HEMI and a modern auto trans. We are going with an after K member and vintage air. Want to keep the stock auto console shifter. I was told to go with the 6.1 because it doesn't have the VVT to deal with in case of future cam upgrades. Should I find something out of a 07 SRT8 charger? Is the 6.1 from a Jeep better or worse way to go? Is there a particular trans to go with?

Just want to build the best car I can for my parent. Thanks in advance.

Hit up Dave from modern muscle. Click one of those banner links for them, call him up and he will take care of all your questions and set you up with a good package.

The 6.1 from either one will be just fine. Also, it will have a lot of power and driving it will cost him money.....rear tire replacement on a bi monthly basis, lol!!

Just a suggestion, I know a lot of guys dont think about.

Why not just build a decent chrysler motor and add fuel injection? Tends to be much cheaper and easier in the long run. And honestly I prefer say a decent aluminum head 440, with an aluminum water pump, aluminum intake, and say the fast fi fuel injection system sitting on top, you will get more power, in some cases better reliability, longer lasting, etc.. Both ways are great options and either will be fine, but some people never think of it, you can have a stroker built with aluminum heads, intake, roller cam, and the fi system for around $7000, make 550hp, long lasting, efficient engine. Then add a 4spd automatic to it and be under $10K, done...
I sold a 2006 6.1 hemi and tranny (srt8 charger) for $8K and it had 120K on it!!! (I gave them everything, cluster, harnesses, exhaust, a/c and cooling system) they put that in a 70 cuda, and after I seen the work it took (they did good work) and the money they spent, I could not wrap my head around it, they could have bought a "real" hemi, lol...

Either way, good luck, I love them all, no matter which heart they have, I am in the lonely " use an LS camp", lol, you want a really nice motor that drops in about anything and can be bought for short money, use an LS train, and be done with it, when my rubicon unlimited pentastar quits, I am putting an ls3 in it...

I'm pretty good with a wrench and welder but not at building engines. My dad has a 70 Bee with a BB stroker and I have a 72 challenger with a SB stroker. We are happy with both car that we built (engines bought) but both seam to need little things here and there every year. Including engine adjustments. So we Definitely want fuel injection. I don't know anyone with stroked BB that is putting 150k + miles on, but I haven't heard of any issues with a stock 6.1L going 200k miles. I want to build the Satellite with the ability for my parents to jump in and drive from Iowa to California without issue. So if we are already getting: new engine, new trans, Vintage Air, aftermarket K member, aftermarket brakes, new radiator, new headers, new fuel system and fuel injection. The idea and cost of getting a Gen3 hemi that is a proven good engine out of a running car with a good overdrive auto trans makes use the most comfortable and doesn't sound that much more expensive.

I understand where you are coming from, and the 6.1 may be good to 200K, BUT, most guys are starting with take outs with a 100K plus on them, I personally would take a NEW 440 with fuel injection vs a used new hemi.

My best advice is find a complete car, look for a smashed 6.1, I dont think it will matter what it comes out of, and I would look into keeping as much of the original system as possible, gauge cluster, fuel pump, etc...

good luck, I am always in and out of auctions, they are out there, I bought that 06 for short money, smashed so hard in the back it made the car too wide for an enclosed trailer, lol. BUT I bought it after fees for $2900, so scores are out there, try to get into some insurance auctions or get people that frequent them to keep an eye out for you, by the time they hit the internet you have a bunch of guys with jeeps,, old mopars, etc looking to buy them so too much competition, but in the pool you just have junkyards and rebuilders, most aren't looking for drivelines and if they are they want to steal them, a motor and tranny is worth $2500 to a junk yard if its perfect with low miles...

I just checked the list at east prov and they have an 08 cherokee with a 5.7 in it, says "starts, right side and roof damage, 88K miles", there arent pictures on there but Ill bet that jeep does $3500 tops, probably more like $1900..

torkmnster is correct. dave at modern muscle is very knowledgable. Lxmodguy is very resourceful as well. GL w the swap if you do it. I have a 70 RR and I was going to do it. purchased the 6.1 motor but after researching the entire process and cost I changed my mind. It's an awesome upgrade but for me personally it was beyond my budget.

I'm doing a 6.1 with a NAG1 in a 70 Challenger, did a lot of research before I decided on the 6.1, and it was way more expensive than a 5.7. I am determend to keep my stock consol and possible the shifter, because I want my car to appear stock. Gonna run the engine with a 727 to start up with, then add the NAG1 later. I'm also upgrading suspension and brakes. And a Vintage Air unit. Here is some great threads to read:

http://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/showthread.php?7651-Ma-s-cuda-A-long-time-coming

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/47370/1.html

Btw, I just ordered most of my parts from Bouchillion, Randy has been very helpful, answering all my newbie questions. Getting the harness and computer stuff from Hotwire.

Last edited:
My dad wants a modern drivetrain in his 71 Satellite we are doing. He wants a big HEMI and a modern auto trans. We are going with an after K member and vintage air. Want to keep the stock auto console shifter. I was told to go with the 6.1 because it doesn't have the VVT to deal with in case of future cam upgrades. Should I find something out of a 07 SRT8 charger? Is the 6.1 from a Jeep better or worse way to go? Is there a particular trans to go with?

Just want to build the best car I can for my parent. Thanks in advance.

Street car? driven a lot? trying to go fast or just enjoy the ride?

He wants a street car. Drive several days a week. Decent mileage. Fast. Big smoky burnout. Build it one time, without needing to upgrade things later.

I'm currently looking at a 06 300C srt-8 and a 07 magnum srt-8 for donor vehicles.

I'd put a 6.4 crate motor in it. I can get you everything you need and you won't need a donor vehicle

hmmm... 6.4L looks to be around $8,000. I plan on getting a whole car for less then that. With parts to sell off and some nice SRT-8 seats for the car. But I will run that option by my dad. Thanks

Keep in mind you need 2k worth of efi wiring and ecm. Stock stuff won't work

I'm pretty good with a wrench and welder but not at building engines. My dad has a 70 Bee with a BB stroker and I have a 72 challenger with a SB stroker. We are happy with both car that we built (engines bought) but both seam to need little things here and there every year. Including engine adjustments. So we Definitely want fuel injection. I don't know anyone with stroked BB that is putting 150k + miles on, but I haven't heard of any issues with a stock 6.1L going 200k miles. I want to build the Satellite with the ability for my parents to jump in and drive from Iowa to California without issue. So if we are already getting: new engine, new trans, Vintage Air, aftermarket K member, aftermarket brakes, new radiator, new headers, new fuel system and fuel injection. The idea and cost of getting a Gen3 hemi that is a proven good engine out of a running car with a good overdrive auto trans makes use the most comfortable and doesn't sound that much more expensive.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I think that a big block with various improvements can go just as many miles if not more than a new engine. Things like modern gaskets, moly rings, dual roller timing chains, high volume oil and water pumps can easily make an old engine last a long time.

That's going out on a limb. The 440's were stout, well built engines. But honestly if you spent the money for a hydraulic roller cam, the best rockers, the best cylinder heads, the best gaskets etc.....you still won't make the same power with the same reliability as a gen3. The cylinder heads are nowhere near as good no matter what aftermarket heads you get. You might get a set that flows the same on a flow bench. Flows only part of the equation.

I got 6.1 hemi and i love it. i also love a 440 and the 426 hemi. all 3 are awesome motors. i put the tr6060 6 speed behind the 6.1. running 75mph on the interstate and that motor is not even working. and i figured this out a few times and i was averaging 22-24 mpg with 475 hp. i will take that all day long. jmo. good luck with your build. oh yeah i drove a 6.4 hemi and man that thing seems like it pulls hard for stock. just another awesome motor to pick from.

I'll second the vote for HotWire for wiring harness. You might want to call them and tell them what you have in mind and get suggestions for year/make/model since there are some major differences in the harness vs oem equipment requirements.

I researched this swap fairly extensively, and talked to the big three shops providing support for this swap. Regarding the 6.1L I was told it required a standalone fuel system and you could not use the stock ECM although I believe I have seen where people did use it. That runs about 3K, plus headers are very expensive. The fuel system is semi reasonable if you go with a new pump in your existing tank rather than a custom baffled tank. To make a long story short, price wise, the 5.7 from a manual vehicle with a 545 truck trans is the cheapest route and with a cam swap (no VVT on manual cars, or early hemi) headers, a custom flash ecu, Bouchillon said they routinely make 500hp with the 5.7. Just the info I remember off the top of my head.

I run a 5.7 Hemi I picked up for $600. I put about $600 into a used hotwire harness and getting the factory ecm tuned to a manual transmission. I run a late model 5 speed out of a Dakota. It makes (at least) 345 hp, gets 20-21 mpg and is a blast to drive. It always starts and was really not that hard to install. I made my own engine mounts, used the factory exhaust manifolds (I will eventually make headers for it), and really it didn't cost me anymore than putting in a 318 or 360 would have.

Auto Transport Service
Back