• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with thermoquad please

74gtx

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Happy spring! I’m hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have a 440 that I replaced the eddy with a thermoquad. Yeah I know. My main issue besides if it sits overnight and looses all fuel is I can not get the choke right. If I give it a fast idle at a cold start my secondarys won’t ever open. With no high idle it takes halfway forever to get them to open still. 15-20 miles of driving. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? Thanks. Mike

If your linkage is set up correctly, the secondaries won't open with the choke engaged. But you're having problems with the secondaries with a warm engine and choke disengaged? Do you mean the bottom throttle plates, or the top secondary air valve?

Fast choke at idle? The choke must fully disengage for the secondary linkage to be free to open up.

Getting the choke set on the carb should be a snap. Do you have the exact & correct choke?

The bowl coud bve drained due to a bunch of heat under the carb. Do you have the thick OE TQ gasket? If you have the aftermarket thin gasket, this is your problem to this and the above choke issue. Most guys will install an electric fuel pump. I highly recomend the Edelbrock electric fuel pump designed for carbs and the instalation kit. The pump doesn't need a regulator.

These TQ's, are a roytal pain until you get them settled and squared away. Then you'll love 'em.

I have rebuilt dozens of TQ and QJ carbs over the last 40 years and never have a problem IF the adjustments are made to spec and in the correct order.
Mike

Thanks for the replies. I meant the high idle with the choke. It sucks. 35 years ago I’d have no problem!! I honestly don’t know which gasket I have. I believe it’s the thick one. I installed a new electric pull off as well. I am trying to make her close to stock beside the 1969 engine. I bought the carb from summit. As far as I can tell everything is correct. The engine runs very cool. Could that play into it? Thanks again guys!! Miky

By the way. I’m south east of Cleveland and have lots of beer!! I would welcome Anyone near !!

I re read photons post. They open when the engine is fully warm but I don’t think all of the way. I’m trying to get it to work properly. Sorry. I’ve gone to the beer frame. For a while already.

Auto Transport Service
Back