• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HID Headlight Conversion....1969 Plymouth Roadrunner

Still one of the all-time coolest how-to threads I've seen on here, can't wait to get around to upgrading mine!

Thread bump for the awesomeness contained in it.

Can I sneak in a question?

I have a 66 Coronet that is hungry for another project so it is going to be new headlights

Am I correct in thinking that I need to get some of the Hella H4 lamps with the Morimoto bulbs/ballasts/relay kits?

I was going to go with the Morimoto kit. I wanted to have all four headlights be consistent: all low beam and then switch to all high beam

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Watermelon

When I updated my 63 I replaced the headlights with the halogen version of the stock bulbs. For my 63 it was the H5006 lowbeam and H5001 Highbeam. I don't drive mine alot at night but was impressed by the relay/halogen upgrade.

I've been looking for this and I'm confused if this is legal? I know non-DOT bulbs aren't legal (in the States). Everyone agrees that HID retrofits into Halogen housings are illegal. Most seem to say that HID kits are illegal. Doing them correctly (HID bulbs in HID housings) are often considered illegal if the car did not come with them? Anyone have any insight?

I've been looking for this and I'm confused if this is legal? I know non-DOT bulbs aren't legal (in the States). Everyone agrees that HID retrofits into Halogen housings are illegal. Most seem to say that HID kits are illegal. Doing them correctly (HID bulbs in HID housings) are often considered illegal if the car did not come with them? Anyone have any insight?

I'm not certain but I'm starting to get the idea you are questioning the legality of this modification

I'd love to put better brighter lights in my car, but I also want to keep it legal. This is a great thread on how to do a HID conversion, I am just wondering if there is a way to do this and keep it road legal (in the US)?

I read that post, the Hella Vision Plus lights mentioned are DOT approved, but they are Halogen not HID. Putting HIDs in them is definitely illegal. Daniel Sterns site has a lot of good information, particularly on how illegal/incorrect the conversion kits are.

So I'm still stuck on:

1) Does anyone make SAE/DOT approved HID lights in the 5.75 form factor.
2) If someone does, and SAE/DOT HID lamps are placed inside them, would they be street legal in the United States if the car did not come equipped with HIDs from the factory?

I may need to go Halogen just for legal reasons.

Hey Jamie. Modifying your vehicle's lighting system from factory in any manor is illegal in just about every state. It doesn't matter if you patch together an aftermarket DOT-approved housing, with appropriate halogen bulb, it's still illegal. With that being said, modifying your vehicles emission system (like exhaust) from factory is illegal as well. Same goes with brakes, parts of your suspension and many other areas.

Point i'm trying to get to is there are a lot of mod's us car guys make to our cars deemed un-roadworthy by the DOT. Main reason being is that the mod's are not proven and certified by the DOT and auto MFG's. With that being said, I don't think too many car guys sit idle on the sidelines and wait for the government to tell us what we can and cannot do to our vehicles. As long as we all do the proper homework and are responsible to insure vehicle safety, IMO I don't see where big brother really has room to depict what our car needs and doesn't need as far as upgrades.

As far as your question, if you truly are worried about keeping a DOT legal set of lights in your vehicle, your best bet would be to retain the factory set up. Myself, I really do enjoy the lights. They have a further reach, use less power and are definitely brighter. I have yet to be flashed because they're blinding or have had any issues with the DOT/Law enforcement.

Best of luck to you.

Hey Jamie. Modifying your vehicle's lighting system from factory in any manor is illegal in just about every state. It doesn't matter if you patch together an aftermarket DOT-approved housing, with appropriate halogen bulb, it's still illegal. With that being said, modifying your vehicles emission system (like exhaust) from factory is illegal as well. Same goes with brakes, parts of your suspension and many other areas.

Point i'm trying to get to is there are a lot of mod's us car guys make to our cars deemed un-roadworthy by the DOT. Main reason being is that the mod's are not proven and certified by the DOT and auto MFG's. With that being said, I don't think too many car guys sit idle on the sidelines and wait for the government to tell us what we can and cannot do to our vehicles. As long as we all do the proper homework and are responsible to insure vehicle safety, IMO I don't see where big brother really has room to depict what our car needs and doesn't need as far as upgrades.

As far as your question, if you truly are worried about keeping a DOT legal set of lights in your vehicle, your best bet would be to retain the factory set up. Myself, I really do enjoy the lights. They have a further reach, use less power and are definitely brighter. I have yet to be flashed because they're blinding or have had any issues with the DOT/Law enforcement.

Best of luck to you.

That's interesting to know that in the computer system at most part suppliers they have actually replaced the sealed beam part # with Halogen being the "replacement part" now

Thanks for the info Prop!

Thanks for the response Propwash, I've decided to do the swap to relays and then just go with Halogens. They are more of a "bolt on/bolt off" solution if Johnny Law does decide to make an issue of the upgrade.

I might have gone HID, but it is very difficult to actually find DOT approved glass and because HIDs are noticeably different (due to the light color) I'd be worried they would attract more attention. Not to mention finding DOT Halogens is a lot easier (and cheaper as well).

Just wanted to give you another thumbs up as I'm finally getting to this point in my build and find myself back on your thread. Looks like I'll be running the same Hellas and your link definitely has been the best price I've found for them. Thanks again Prop, I'll be sure to post it when I get to it.

Awesome thread, i just tripped over it. Once I get the power window install done on my 69runner, I am going to start gathering parts for this myself. I will definitely be bookmarking this thread. Around here johnny law does not know what a road runner is, and I think they may have other issues with me before the lights, LOL

Thanks, Mark

DSC05212.jpg

Thank you, Propwash, for documenting this. I'm seriously considering doing this to both of my birds, the 'Runner and the 'Lark.<br><br>Following....

Hey Will, thanks for the great headlight upgrade thread. Followed all the steps and ordered all the same parts.

I've had them out on the street a couple of times now and all I can say is these are great lights and one of the best upgrades I've done yet to my 67.

Pretty amazing in the dead of night with the brights on, you can really see so much better. Thanks for the great DYI and info my friend!

Lights 1.jpg

So I made the install in the GTX, AWESOME bright at night, however, they take a while to come to full bright and they flicker slightly ...yes..even when standing still.
Anyone had this problem ???
I have a genlll hemi and the alternator that came with it . They have their own slot in a 24 slot fuse block and the entire car has been rewired so I know the power is there.

I am in need of this type of upgrade. Not an electrically talented individual. I'll need to ask some questions along the way. I have a 69 GTX, it doesn't have the original harness, I think that's my apprehension. I'd love to go HID, but would settle for Halogen, especially if it's easier.

You can buy round Halogen sealed beam headlamps anywhere. I got mine from O'Reilly. Obviously not as bright as HID, but they are plug n play.

Auto Transport Service
Back