• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Historic vs. vintage vs. standard license plates

Here in OR, you can get special interest plates if the vehicle is over twenty-five years old. They aren't supposed to be used for your everyday driver, of course. You can either use the states' ugly yellow plates, or year of manufacture plates. I have a restored set of 1955 plates on one car, and NOS 1965 and 1967 plates on two other cars. You have to take your plates into DMV for them to inspect, pay the one time $112 registration fee, and that's it. Much better than the $200 every two years for regular plates.

I wish OK would come to its senses and allow for a five-year registration of YOM tags for, say, a flat $100 fee.

I'm looking at switching to YOM plates for texas, I found out recently that it is an option. I have a set of 1970 texas plates that I've been advised needs to be restored in order to use for YOM registration so need to order the correct color reflective paints and such to do it. If that is an option in NY that would be cool to pursue. I think the black 1970 Virginia YOM plates are the best looking when Ive see those at carlisle.

Here in NY, the Reg fees, are cheaper for Hist/Vintage tags, at $25/year, compared to Standard Pass/Commercial tags. I have year correct plates on all my classics. Some years only require rear tag, if that was in practice, in that year.

Here is a forum thread for YOM plate restoration that I'm using as a guide, there are a few posts about NY state plates that may be useful for you. It is an old thread though so may not be current for DMV purpose:

Vintage License Plate Restoration:

The trick with the 1970 texas plates is the light blue color and it has to be fully reflective (the 1970 plate in the garage journal thread might not be approved). some counties are more restrictive than others and a resto has to perfectly match the original or it wont be blessed by the state.

Here in NY, the Reg fees, are cheaper for Hist/Vintage tags, at $25/year, compared to Standard Pass/Commercial tags. I have year correct plates on all my classics. Some years only require rear tag, if that was in practice, in that year.
Going to look into that for sure.

Here is a forum thread for YOM plate restoration that I'm using as a guide, there are a few posts about NY state plates that may be useful for you. It is an old thread though so may not be current for DMV purpose:

Vintage License Plate Restoration:

The trick with the 1970 texas plates is the light blue color and it has to be fully reflective (the 1970 plate in the garage journal thread might not be approved). some counties are more restrictive than others and a resto has to perfectly match the original or it wont be blessed by the state.
Wow, that GJ article was an eye opener for sure. Never realized how much some go through to bring some of these old plates around and how picky some states DMVs can be in accepting them. Thanks for sharing.

Illinois license plate renewal kit.

th.jpg

th (1).jpg

YOM. As it did appear back in the day.

45DE9672-BB6B-4E10-81DE-1000FDA9B281.png

Back in the 80s, a few people around here were taking their old tags from New York, New Jersey, etc, and hanging them on their mailboxes after putting on Florida tags. I thought I would be cute and hang my original tag from my car on the mailbox (Florida tag). Well somebody stole it. Not smart!

I should have put the second tag that was on the car instead.

BEB8D5B6-ED05-4BFD-BC86-8977F4B1ED9E.jpeg

Last edited:
One thing you can try on plates with faded or dull non-textured paint is simply clean and wax the tag! California plates (pre-1970) are very receptive to this, as are 1975-earlier Colorado and pre-1969 Oklahoma tags. If your plate uses a textured or reflective paint, this won't work well.

This tag and frame was on my '67 Dart GT that I had back in the late '80s. Great car! Another that I shoulda kept. I looked up Patterson Motors in Placerville, California today, and learned they were a GM dealer that was founded in 1946 and went out of business in the early '80s. The frame is in amazing condition and not restored.

IMG_20221006_224312125_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I think this plate is too far gone for that however. Besides
That would ruin the “patina” .

In OK, we can have YOM registration (both my '66 cars have '66 tags), or one can get "Street Rod" which both are annual registration. Both are $21.00 in addition to the regular registration fee, so you're looking at $45/year There is also "Antique" which is a $100 flat fee registration that is valid for 10 years. This is the only one that has limitations on use.

On YOM tags, they are supposed to be original and not restored, but that is generally overlooked. You get a transparent windshield decal for the current year that shows it's good to go and all legal-like. All YOM tags are required to be renewed by December 31st, each year.
**** I went to tag office when getting my coronet squared away with a 1968 plate. They told me not possible to do YOM. I guess ill go to different tag office next year.

**** I went to tag office when getting my coronet squared away with a 1968 plate. They told me not possible to do YOM. I guess ill go to different tag office next year.

With YOM, you have to deal directly with the Oklahoma Tax Commission in OKC or Tulsa. For whatever reason, tag agents can't do anything with a YOM tag. A YOM expires at the end of the year, no matter what.

With YOM, you have to deal directly with the Oklahoma Tax Commission in OKC or Tulsa. For whatever reason, tag agents can't do anything with a YOM tag. A YOM expires at the end of the year, no matter what.
Ok thanks man.

Part of my vintage OH plate collection.

Neatly spans the "muscle car" era from 68 to 73.
20221008_163126.jpg

I have only one vintage FL plate. It's rough but it's a 68/69.

Interesting how FL spanned years but also issued plates every year.
That gives you the option of running 2 differently colored plates on your classic.
Pick the one that goes with your colors best.

I just picked up a 1958 Rhode Island tag at a swap meet recently, so I have perhaps 38 of 50 States now; I'll have to count. I also have Ontario, PEI, and Alberta tags, plus tags from Australia (QLD, NSW, and Western Australia). Ideally, I want one from every State and possession, plus DC; along with all of the Canadian provinces/territories and Australian states.

Part of my vintage OH plate collection.

Neatly spans the "muscle car" era from 68 to 73.
View attachment 1355608

I have only one vintage FL plate. It's rough but it's a 68/69.

Interesting how FL spanned years but also issued plates every year.
That gives you the option of running 2 differently colored plates on your classic.
Pick the one that goes with your colors best.
Slick, real slick. Love it...

Auto Transport Service
Back