• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hit another one!

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
Well, I was about 4 miles from home this morning, on the way to my yearly "wellness check" when I smacked a deer. This makes #8 in my life-so far. I was in my winter beater (2008 T&C) and the plastic facia is busted up pretty good and I have a large dent in the drivers door. I do purchase comprehensive coverage so with $100.00 deductible, it will get repaired. I'm so tired of deer.
Mike

Well, I was about 4 miles from home this morning, on the way to my yearly "wellness check" when I smacked a deer. This makes #8 in my life-so far. I was in my winter beater (2008 T&C) and the plastic facia is busted up pretty good and I have a large dent in the drivers door. I do purchase comprehensive coverage so with $100.00 deductible, it will get repaired. I'm so tired of deer.
Mike
That sucks, I hear you, I made a pretty good living off of deer hits here.
Comp & $100 deduct is a good plan were you live.
Estimates add up fast make sure to tell you body shop if you are wanting to keep the van , I'd guess you will be close to crossing the %50 line.

One of the body shops in my area did a promotion last year - "hit a deer, win a Deere." They had a drawing to give away a John Deere lawn tractor, the winner picked from the pool of folks who brought vehicles in with deer damage. Major generator of body work in central Pennsylvania.

That sucks. I know the feeling. I have no idea how I have hit. But my current car I bought in September 2017 I hit one in October. And 3 more since then. I didn't fix it the last time. So it has no bumper cover and dented hood & fender. I haven't hit one since lol. The wife it one Wednesday night. Took out headlight dented fender & hood. I replace headlight but don't think I will fix the rest. It doesn't pay to drive something nice around here. lol

Need more time for deer hunting season to thin out the herd. They taste pretty good in a cast skillet with a dab of butter and dash of pepper.. it sucks when you hit one , glad you’re ok!

if you have those deer whistles you might want to face them the other way as you may be calling them instead of warning them ?

I used to sell those deer whistles in the auto parts store in the 80s. You wouldn't believe how many people bought them. I'm not a hunter, but from Sep-Dec around here they have a season. the problem is to many horn hunters lol

if you have those deer whistles you might want to face them the other way as you may be calling them instead of warning them ?
I have always had them and have not hit a deer, yet. There, I have now jinxed myself.

One of the body shops in my area did a promotion last year - "hit a deer, win a Deere." They had a drawing to give away a John Deere lawn tractor, the winner picked from the pool of folks who brought vehicles in with deer damage. Major generator of body work in central Pennsylvania.
I hear that they make those tractors in Mexico now.

thumbnail (1).jpg

I hit one back in November with a rent a wreck. I am on a project in Alberta, so I was glad it was the rental and not my own vehicle. When I filled out the "report" at the local RCMP station, I answered one question in particular "correctly" I thought. The question was " Was this a hit and run?". I answered "Yes, the deer got up and ran away" (it actually did). The cop thought my reply was funny under the circumstances, but the admin behind the front desk did not appreciate the humor and made me fill out a new report. So much for being "truthful" with the police.

Know the experience. Last year hit a deer with the wife’s car, $4,500, not drivable. Then while it was in the body shop, my wife got rear-ended in my beloved Dakota I did some resto on the year before. Lucky it was drivable as we were 220 miles from home, $4,000+ in damage. Well, then, after getting the wife’s car back, with my truck in the shop, I hit a wild turkey in flight! What are the friggin odds? Again, non-drivable as it took out the windshield, OH console, plus damage to the roof making it a longer fix. All in the span of two-months..

Mike
Did you at least get some good cuts of meat on the side of the road???

I hit one back in November with a rent a wreck. I am on a project in Alberta, so I was glad it was the rental and not my own vehicle. When I filled out the "report" at the local RCMP station, I answered one question in particular "correctly" I thought. The question was " Was this a hit and run?". I answered "Yes, the deer got up and ran away" (it actually did). The cop thought my reply was funny under the circumstances, but the admin behind the front desk did not appreciate the humor and made me fill out a new report. So much for being "truthful" with the police.
That’s a dumb question to ask. Should’ve just put na I guess.

Know the experience. Last year hit a deer with the wife’s car, $4,500, not drivable. Then while it was in the body shop, my wife got rear-ended in my beloved Dakota I did some resto on the year before. Lucky it was drivable as we were 220 miles from home, $4,000+ in damage. Well, then, after getting the wife’s car back, with my truck in the shop, I hit a wild turkey in flight! What are the friggin odds? Again, non-drivable as it took out the windshield, OH console, plus damage to the roof making it a longer fix. All in the span of two-months..

I’ve only hit one, but at 70+ mph it sure screwed up my F150 (work truck) to the tune of $6K+. Almost hit a couple cows wandering on the interstate on a foggy night. That could have been really bad, 2am in the middle of nowhere…

Lots of near misses too, they are thick as thieves around here and often use the road to get where they’re going when we have a lot of deep snow.

Auto Transport Service
Back