• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hit another one!

In WI, people have used those in the past. I haven't seen one on a car in year.
We have deer. The state DNR farms the state herd as part of a tourism thing. The public will go to meetings with them and cry and piss and moan that they bought 1/2 an acre of hunting land for 2 billion dollars and didn;t even see a deer during the last season. So we have deer now.

Most will tell you, around here, that when they tried those little horn shaped whistles it did in fact scare the deer. it scared them from 50 yards out in the hayfield where they had been standing peacfully and spooked them into a full sprint.
Deer are F'ING STUPID. You have just as much chance of them spinning in a circle and dead running towards the road then you do away from you.

Dad had them on an 86 Buick, whatever the buick version of the cutlass cierra is. Iron duke and front wheel drive. Coming home from town up a county trunk, there is a fairly steep hill, county cut the road into the hill a bit as it was on the side/slope some too... anyway, ditch on one side slopes downhill away from the road, other side it is cut down(to drain) and then there is a steep bank about 8 feet high.
Deer got so scared as he was coming, apparently it hit a dead sprint and tried to jump off the top of that bank. Dad was cruising up the hill when a deer falls out of the sky onto the hood of his car. He mumbled about that for years, "dang thing fell out of the sky just to get me"

I would never install one of those deer panic horns on a car. To many people with the same experience, deer that had no intention of acting berserk wigging out and sprinting into the road or the side of their truck or falling out of the sky....

IMG-20240323-WA0000.jpg

I would have absolutely filled my freezer....... glad you're ok, Mike

Mike are you aiming for them,glad your ok and sorry about the car.

Glad you're okay!

Just remember to tell the insurance company that "the deer ran into you", not "I ran into a deer".

For what it's worth, For years we had a steady stream of deer hits come through our shop.
We are a rural area, timber and fields.
There are as many if not more 4x4 pickups compared to cars.
We hardly ever had a deer hit on a pickup with real aggressive tread mud tires and cat back loud exhaust. That describes a big share of the local trucks.
My brother and me allways joked the deer could hear them coming a mile away.
May be true ?

For what it's worth, For years we had a steady stream of deer hits come through our shop.
We are a rural area, timber and fields.
There are as many if not more 4x4 pickups compared to cars.
We hardly ever had a deer hit on a pickup with real aggressive tread mud tires and cat back loud exhaust. That describes a big share of the local trucks.
My brother and me allways joked the deer could hear them coming a mile away.
May be true ?
Might be something to that...
Deer are so damn thick up here on the ridge that they walk right up to the front porch and hang out sometimes.
Lack of natural predators, yada yada...
Yet in all these years (KNOCK WOOD), I've never been cursed to have hit one.

Been damn lucky in that regard - but also, our rigs make more noise than stock and my old eyes are constantly
moving when driving, from mirrors to horizon to road, scanning like Kit on Knight Rider - because I saw a
good friend messed up pretty good 40+ years ago as a result of taking one through the windshield.

I wonder if less folks hunting every season has led to these increasing numbers of deer?

Might be something to that...
Deer are so damn thick up here on the ridge that they walk right up to the front porch and hang out sometimes.
Lack of natural predators, yada yada...
Yet in all these years (KNOCK WOOD), I've never been cursed to have hit one.

Been damn lucky in that regard - but also, our rigs make more noise than stock and my old eyes are constantly
moving when driving, from mirrors to horizon to road, scanning like Kit on Knight Rider - because I saw a
good friend messed up pretty good 40+ years ago as a result of taking one through the windshield.

I wonder if less folks hunting every season has led to these increasing numbers of deer?
I do think the reduced numbers of hunters over the years has played a big part in the deer population increase.
That at the disappearing family farms.
Folks around here respect others property even if the owner is unknown.
That is the case more and more as 500 - 1000 acre farms are bought up by corporations.
Damn hard to get permission to hunt if you can't locate the owner.

Mike, curious about the repair bill. I tagged one about a year ago with my 2013 Caravan. Deer ran off, and the van was drivable. But it still damaged the hood, bumper and fender. $6K. I was a bit surprised. It was close to the insurance company totaling it.

Deer might be hero’s, lol. They run toward danger. On another occasion, yeah, a deer hit me, not the other way around. Was stopped in a traffic backup and noticed three of them running in a field on my left in my direction. They kept getting closer and started to wonder if they saw the vehicles – at all. Became obvious – they weren’t stopping so I leaned down to the right peaking over my shoulder at the left window and bam one of them t-boned my driver’s door full speed, its face smushed into to window then flew over the roof. Glad I had the window closed or it might have joined me in the cab.

Pulled over to check the damage and the deer was nowhere in sight. Big dent in the door and found fur embedded in the side trim and drip rail, so tight I had to use a pliers to pull it all out.

Here in PA, we are overrun with deer since there are no natural predators. At dusk and dawn, they can be a real threat as they move about.

I had a deer hit me. I was borrowing my uncle's car, and on my way home from work, a deer ran out and hit the side of the front fender as well as the front passenger door. And yes, it ran away, so it was truly a hit and run! Over $3000 in damage. Ouch.

If you hit and kill a deer, I don't think you are allowed to "harvest" it (unless it's deer season and you have a license). I think that's a shame. Why waste the meat?

Here in PA, we are overrun with deer since there are no natural predators. At dusk and dawn, they can be a real threat as they move about.
The MI DNR has been denying it but, we have wolves and Mountain lions here. I have seen 2 cats over the years my self.
I had a deer hit me. I was borrowing my uncle's car, and on my way home from work, a deer ran out and hit the side of the front fender as well as the front passenger door. And yes, it ran away, so it was truly a hit and run! Over $3000 in damage. Ouch.

If you hit and kill a deer, I don't think you are allowed to "harvest" it (unless it's deer season and you have a license). I think that's a shame. Why waste the meat?

The MI DNR has been denying it but, we have wolves and Mountain lions here. I have seen 2 cats over the years my self.
Yes, PA is supposedly starting to have some wolves come back. There certainly is plenty of food for them!

I've also been hit by deer from the side, when I was in the truck. When I drive a GTX to Carlisle, I make a point of starting my trip through downtown State College, to avoid the farm land surrounding my neighborhood. I've had numerous near misses in my daily driver in that area. The deer are always present at dawn and dusk in large numbers. Daylight can be treacherous, when they launch into the road with no warning.

When I was a terminal manager in the 80s, it was not unusual to see one of my drivers pulling into the lot with a deer carcass strapped to the fender of his trailer. The law requires the game commission to deal with any meat that is harvested, but my crew in those days didn't do things by the book. Most of those farm boys lived on venison harvested to prevent "crop damage," a legal loophole for out of season hunting. I remember a story about a young deputy game warden who got a bit overzealous on enforcement. He got shot in the leg with a .22 and took the hint.

Auto Transport Service
Back