• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home Alignment Tools

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Anybody own one of those alignment tools that sell for under $200? Something like this Amazon product ASIN B000PG6OW2.
Worth buying along with some turning plates, or should a guy keep going to a shop? Would really like to align my cars at home if possible.

Look at the Longacre stuff... It's been the go to for most racers for years... You can 100% do it yourself..

Back in the 70's I was doing alignments with equipment thats about the equal of what Longacre sells.... These days I take my stuff to a guy that I've known for forty years that was doing alignments at the family alignment shop when I met him & still is... He use to compete at Laguna Seca as well as setting up cars for other racers so he knows what I'm after.. Finding someone with his background is tough so doing it yourself is a good option..

Last edited:
I don't see anything?
dunno.png

I have that Joel... I've used it to check where things are at... but have yet to do any adjusting with it.

I just did a car with mason line, jackstands, a tape measure and a framing square.

Mason line tied to jackstands. This gives you a straight line off the rear tires to the front to aid in measuring toe and thrust angle.
A framing square to measure camber to the floor.
And garbage bags under the front tires.

Got me good enough for a cruise and for a “real” alignment.

Your results may vary.

I don't see any link in your post either, just an Amazon emblem but no link. I think this is what you are asking about though.

SPS-91000_OH_xl.jpg

And yes, I have this tool and have used it on several of my cars. I've had very good results with it. It takes some time, but seems to work well.

56957443-C350-4EEC-80A9-55F62DBCE50E.png

I have one of these and it works pretty well. Gets it pretty close. Gotta pull the dust cap off the hub and use the machine surface on the rotor/hub.

Similar to Bighouse, I did mine at home with a tape measure, and a builder's spirit level for the camber. This was following a complete front end removal including replacing front frame rails.
The car tracks straight and true, steers beautifully and wears the tires evenly.
Maybe by fluke, but I've done about 6,000 miles with no issues.
I did it myself not to save money, but because I have zero trust in the alignment shops these days.

Even if you know a shop you trust, it doesn’t cost anything to try. And the closer you can get it the less the alignments going to cost. Their time is your money.
Make sure all your wear parts are good and all the adjustments are free and moving. The easier it is on them not only the cheaper it will be, but you will lessen the chance of damage.

I don't see any link in your post either, just an Amazon emblem but no link. I think this is what you are asking about though.

View attachment 1313961

And yes, I have this tool and have used it on several of my cars. I've had very good results with it. It takes some time, but seems to work well.
Yes, something like that. There are several companies making a similar tool.

The reason that I would like to be able to do alignments at home is that the 67 year old guy that has been doing mine for the past 40 years just told the shop that he is retiring. There are 2 other garages in town, but they have young pups doing the alignments and are not familiar with these old cars.

In the theme of home alignments, the wobble plates are important. For some reason I have tons of old but new style license plates( flat, not molded) laying around. I butter them up with grease and stick two together and place under the tire with full load on the car. Works great.

Get a tram gage too for checking toe. They are inexpensive but work a lot better than most home-built devices. My caster/camber gage is similar to the one from Amazon but it’s about 30 years old and probably been superseded.

Auto Transport Service
Back