• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

update brakes

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
on my 62... what can i use to update the brakes? looking to use something from something else that will bolt to the firewall booster/master that i can get off the shelf in backwater OK on a Saturday if i need to.
#2 will the spindles control arms from under a C body work asking because thats what i have laying around.

For the budget minded such as myself,to be honest with you this day and age there are lots of kits out there that you don't have to piece mill.
Many such as CLP-6374SWBK-S from Summit Racing costs $459 .This is a basic kit without a prop valve and master.
It uses Parts store calipers/pads/rotors from the 73 up Mopars.So replacement parts are easy available. I did a conversion on a Valiant using this kit.This is about a budget as you can get.
They do have kits with the prop and master from Summit,Right Stuff brand RSD-G1501 for $180 to complete your up grade brakes. Not bad for about $650 lay out. This is the budget way, you can spend way more for power brakes and fancy stuff.You can find junk yard spindles and caliper brackets used, then buy the rest of the part store parts for a 1974 dodge Coronet. Maybe a few bucks less if you choose.
As far as the C body spindles not knowing the year,can't say if they would work.

Honestly, i went with the piratejacks kit on my '62.. it was the least expensive and could not ask for something to bolt on easier.. (although i did put the calipers to the front instead of rear due to the lines being too long, not a big deal)
This is the master cylinder i used.. it bolted right upto the stock single pot holes on the firewall (there is a little gap on the top of the Mc where that dip is.. i filled it with silicone and smoothed it.. was a tiny spot, just letting you know..
Master Cyl..
I also got a brake line kit from inline tube which all went right in place without issue.. and a new distribution block which was like $25

P.S. inline has a line kit made specifically for early b-body single line to dual line conversions...

Not cheap.. BUT it's nice to know you won't blow a old line..

All in it's not super cheap but it's all new and bolts right up..

This is the dist block i got..

2023-08-02 05.56.01.jpg

not going to be a check mark thing so i figured a manual valve would be good so i can set it as i like.
i just got a 73 C body NY don't know if the engine is any good yet. but figured if it toast i was hoping i could use stuff from it.

not going to be a check mark thing so i figured a manual valve would be good so i can set it as i like.
i just got a 73 C body NY don't know if the engine is any good yet. but figured if it toast i was hoping i could use stuff from it.
I believe the brakes will bolt on... MIGHT need different upper ball joints for the knuckles though.. or there is a tapered spacer that can go in there..

Was just trying to give you a list of parts, when i did mine i had to figure it all out as i went, was a pain

Auto Transport Service
Back