• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood skin grafting

Great work 5.7 hemi, I have a question for you. How did you cut out the hole to begin with....I am going to cut the hood on my 65 Coronet to fit my crossram, air cleaner and hood scoop and really am not sure the best way to do it. My hoods hole will be oval shaped (based on a pattern I bought from hemieddy online) if that makes a difference. Thanks, Al

I cut just the skin and left the inner structure intact. Does the template you have go on the top of the hood or from underneath? If top side, then just cut the skin off and then do the inner structure. Measure 1.5 million times, then cut, lol! I know hemieddy asks that his template not be posted, so I wont ask, but it would help me to help you if I could see the template.

leading is the only way to go. it takes patience, a nice rosebud torch head and it really will be way better than any bondo. After you apply lead use a file dipped in transmission fluid to keep file clean.

I've never leaded, although I have gotten the lead out, lol, so a few practice runs will be necessary.

Clean until you have white metal. Order your lead from Johnson metal supply 1/2 the price of Eastwood. Since your aplying horizontal a lot easier. Avoid the lead free replacement material, too brittle.

You cant grind or sand the real lead stuff, correct?

That's a dynamite job man. looks great. Thanks for the post, it gives me direction to do mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back