• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How big of shed do I need?

Propwash

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
Hey fella's........question for those with bigger garages and pole sheds.

I bought some land in the sticks and the first big plan is to build a garage/shed come spring. Now, I've already tried to make little rough sketched trying to figure out exactly how much space i'm gonna need. But, I figured asking guys with first hand knowledge would be the best way to go. For stuff going in the shed, it would be a snowmobile trailer, 14' fishing boat on trailer, 4 wheeler, 12' utility trailer, Farmall tractor w/loader & a couple land working implements, an occasional vehicle and small workshop/tool area. I also want to put in a small separated area just big enough for couple small beds and a woodstove so I have a roof over my head and heat, while in the process of building the cabin. Any of you out there with a basic idea of how much floor space I would need to accomplish this? I don't want to go too large and end up with a shed that makes the cabin look like it's planted next to a warehouse and I surely don't want to go too small.

If you guys have any recommendations on size, type and possibly your associated costs with yours, I would appreciate. Two of my brother-in-laws and a buddy or two will be helping me build the shed and the cabin. A couple of them work for builders, but I still want to keep design simple. Also, location is very remote. The staging area will be cut and leveled after thaw, and will be 250' x 250', but are there any factors I should be thinking about as far as material logistic's, machinery and/or equipment to build the structures?

Thanks for your input.

In my opinion, anything smaller than 1500 sq feet will be cramped for what you plan on putting in it...and 1500 might not be big enough. In mine (1456 sq ft) it has a 12x16 'engine room' that also stores a butt load of crap including my wife's jewelry bench (which she rarely uses anymore) with a very small wash room and toilet and in the rest of the shop is a 15" lathe, 10x50 milling machine, 2 welding machines, 48" shear and finger brake, cutting rig, plasma cutter, lawn equipment which includes a Gravely garden tractor with a 50" deck, power washer, upright refer and an upright freezer, horizontal tank air compressor (large), 3 roll away tool boxes, 3 work benches, large belt/disc sander, 2 file cabinets, two floor jacks and always houses my 2500 extended cab pickup, Durango and 66 Belvedere. Yeah, the place is cramped!

Holy crap Cranky! Darn right you must be cramped. You must be a wizard at playing Tetris! Gives me a pretty good idea of what you're looking at. Thank you...Sounds like a pretty nice outfit of tools to get the job done!

That's a lot of stuff. I vote for as big as you can, everybody that I know who built a shed wished they built a bigger one once they were done.
I have a 50x100 quanset that I get all my old time farm equipment in. If you pack it in just right you can get a lot of equipment in there. But then its a bitch to get around all that stuff packed so tight. So its nice to have some extra wiggle room if needed.

Will, you know if you build it, someone will come along and say theirs is BIGGER. LOL!!!

Whatever size you go with consider a few overhead doors, after I built mine at my old place 25 x 40 I installed a 8 x 8 door in the back and wanted another on the side but never did it, front was 16 x 10 and a man door.

Holy crap Cranky! Darn right you must be cramped. You must be a wizard at playing Tetris! Gives me a pretty good idea of what you're looking at. Thank you...Sounds like a pretty nice outfit of tools to get the job done!
Forgot to mention that there's a 25x25 covered carport out back that also is full of stuff lol. Stuff out there is a steel welding bench, my 'nasty' SafetyClean vat (my clean vat is in the engine room), workout machine, table saw, stack of wheels and tires, another 66 Belvedere, BBQ pit with a stack of wood, bench grinder on it's own stand and a few other odds and ends. I used to have a 14x30 storage shed with a loft and it was pretty full but I recently moved out of there and is one of the reasons why my shop is so full but I'm slowly getting rid of a lot of it!

Just a little suggestion, when building my house I built steep trusses for a loft upstairs that ended up being a 14'X30' master bedroom and a 12'X14' master bath. Allot of good space can be had doing this for a minimal amount in cost "would be great for your temporary living quarters and excellent for future storage". A steep roof also has it's benefits of low maintenence as well. Good luck

Will, you know if you build it, someone will come along and say theirs is BIGGER. LOL!!!

Yeah no doubt Roger! Hehehehe....good point! Good part about this land is there is no one around to run their traps about everything that they have is bigger and better. Even if they did wander in, that's something a limb off a birch could cure quickly..lol

I appreciate all the comments. I'm all about the BBQ Pit you mentioned Cranky! Pretty sure that would be a excellent addition....A livable loft would be a great idea as well 747. Per building code, i'm pretty sure I have to have a pretty healthy pitch to the roof to meet the snow load rating (more head room). I couple beds up there with the workshop below would definitely save me some floor space. BTW.... My god you got a lot of stuff Cranky!

You bring up a good point as well 440+6 & Gpuller, regarding the door(s) and space. I've been debating to either go with one large door that enters from the length, or a couple doors placed on the width side. Going off what you're both saying, width wise with a couple doors sounds like it would be the way to go. Either way, it's coming across pretty clear from all of you, don't sell myself short on space.

Build it as big as you can afford, but not bigger than you you want to pay the county rent for the rest of your days. Put a door in it big enough to park your Prevost.

Go as big as you can in my opinion. It seems the older we get, the more stuff we accumulate. I would also vote for several overhead doors, with at least one being on the side. The energy truss' are a good idea to. My buddies shop has them and he uses it for storage. I have a 40x60 and a 42x64 now, and wish I had more room....

Doesn't matter what size you build as soon as you move in it will not be big enough. At least that's how it worked out for me.

Take Cranky's post and think about the future stuff you may be need to store in the outback. Not necessarily a lathe but what else? Bush hog maybe?

If you can swing a two story building maybe like an old Midwest barn roof type .. I don't don't know if those work or are up there for the snow loads you guys get. You may not even need a cabin for a few years. If you do the barn style roof make sure you plan in a sturdy beam for a second floor hoist, matter of fact put one in the plans anyway to help you get big stuff like a bed, dresser etc up to the loft :)

propwash, congrats about your decision! in the last 3 years my 2 sons with my help have built a large shops on their properties. the last one we had built by a local company that does nothing but pole type buildings for shops and agricultural stuff. they came in and on our flat ground and did a 36 X48X14 with 4/12 pitch and concrete, two tone red and white with the heavier guage steel and 40 year guarantee. two overhead insulated doors w/openers and 5 insulated vinal 3 ft windows.its my honest opinion that you can 't put in the time and effort with every thing as well as expence doing it yourself for what you can negotiate. this thing is awesome. we did the ceiling, insulation, elect. and plumbing, wood stove. I never added every thing up but somewhere around 23k. this is the cheapest cubic footage you can buy and their work is done in a matter of a week or so. and you could live in it. good luck and check around.

How about a pic of this land "sounds like my kind of place". I'm tucked about a 1/4 mile off the road but not quite in the woods (like I would like).

Can't comment on the size, but if you plan on sleeping there, be sure you locate a window in the sleeping quarters for fresh air and door for quick access to firewood without breaking your *** in the middle of the night on all that equipment in there. And build at least a temporary partition to keep the heated space to a minimum or you'll be freezing your arse off all damn night. I know you probably thought of all that, but just in case.

Can't comment on the size, but if you plan on sleeping there, be sure you locate a window in the sleeping quarters for fresh air and door for quick access to firewood without breaking your *** in the middle of the night on all that equipment in there. And build at least a temporary partition to keep the heated space to a minimum or you'll be freezing your arse off all damn night. I know you probably thought of all that, but just in case.

Yeah windows .. free light and a view to the outside that you are buying ! Also could double as a relief avenue if it takes another season to have a bathroom installed hehehe

I would think the 60-40 would be a good one, I know for some reason we never seem to have enough space, If you would ever decide on a permanent deal you would have a great shop.. If its going to have some form of a upstairs for living facility a 24-24 would work out real good and have twice the amount of space.. lots of good options Will for something like this, cool deal and hope you have a lot of fun in the wilderness, nothing wrong with quiet!

Thanks Guys! Really helping me mold an idea of what I need as far as size, configuration and what to think about for down the road. All good points! Appreciate it. As far as a pics 747, don't have any taken. There is one off the old realtor's ad for the property, but it's literally about a 1" x 1" pic. LOL I might swing through there on the sled this weekend and snap a few.

Have you guys heard of having to get a permit to cut down tree's on wooded land? Looking at running in a 1000' driveway and a clearing. Hardwood timber should have no issue paying for all that, but I spoke with the county zoning folks and they're saying I need to get a "Land use permit" ($390) if i'm cutting down more than an acre of wood. Ever heard of anything like that? I do know i'll need to get a building, septic and well permit, but never heard of a permit just to take out trees from your own property.

Another thing to consider if you put doors on the sides. If possible put the doors on the south side only, if you have them on the north the doors will always be frozen down with water running off the eve and freezing. More than likely you wouldn't put eve troughs on because up in the trees they'd fill with leaves and pine needles and give you fits.

Auto Transport Service
Back