• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How classic car-friendly is your state?

The Arizona wrote up was pretty close. Year of manufacture vintage plates can be registered too which isn’t mentioned. Cheap yearly registration and no smog check with classic insurance.
I recently did a bonded title on a 69 roadrunner, the only bad was they used NADA on the value for the bond insurance. $500.00 for the insurance $3.00 for the title?

Only real issue I saw with their assessment of Az was the 12 months of driving season... Sorry when it's over 100 degrees I do see many guys taking their cars out for a drive...

I'm with Budniks, the California ratings are based on the big cities, where I live is better & where he lives is awesome... I've tried to get momma to move up around Hwy 49 but she's not wanting anything to do with it... Heck, I'd be out cruising every evening...

Hafta comment on the FL writeup-

I'm not aware of any restrictions on the use of classic cars.
Never even heard it mentioned by anyone, ever.

The cost of the registration is not a one time cost, it's annually.

...and the 12 month driving season is questionable considering 8 of those months have a 30-70% chance of rain daily and could ruin a long trip without notice.

I'd also say traffic is only poor in major cities and in I95 South of the Vero Beach area, although there are an incredibly large number of people who rush to pull out in front of you at the last second and then do 5 to 10 MPH under the speed limit, I mean an incredible amount of them, and they're not all old folks.

Georgia is pretty good, but I rarely see any classic cars or old muscle cars. It seems like most folks around here are into pickup trucks and boating.

We don't have yearly safety inspections, but the police write citations for cracked windshields, lighting problems, bald tires etc. Once they stop someone for "something"...they go through a laundry list of items to check.

I see WI is right in the middle of the pack. Not showing off, not falling behind.

"Wisconsin weather is completely offensive to old car ownership, though. Your car will be in storage for so long you’ll probably forget it looks like."

Sadly, this is true.:cursin:

One stat not mentioned is the availability of non-ethanol gas. WI would rank well, there, except around Milwaukee.

As is typical with Hagerty, another half-assed article with half-assed misinformation. I'm in the unusual predicament of defending new jersey. As stated, outside the urban areas, the roads are good, don't have to have smog equipment or go through inspections.

The worst part here is the short season... and this year has been exceptionally bad.... rain every other 10 minutes. The 5.6% (suxazz- stadium been paid for) is only around Milwaukee counties. What I do like is our "Collector " plates. Once you have them that number is yours for ever. And they never expire... (until you do anyway). Oh ya.... and some of us get to run non ethanol gas.....

Maine at a 615. But what the hell is up with the road score of 100? That is BS! Roads here suck!

that sucks now also
too many freakin people
so many
some local places are charging a hundred bucks to park near the beach.
I live 10 min from ocean and I won't even go near there until sept.
I remembering you writing about when you were young and growing up down the shore. I thought you said you had a small boat even before you had a car. That must have been a great time.
I stay away on weekends and I enjoy going there after Labor Day.

Missouri,no inspections with historic plates
taxes are figured on what a real car has depreciated to

Please explain how they manage to figure this, your comment doesn't make much sense, if any!

Please explain how they manage to figure this, your comment doesn't make much sense, if any!
He's right, no inspection, no renewal on historical plates unless like me, if they are personalized historical plates. Then every two years you pay a minimal fee to keep them which you can mail in. As far as taxes, you claim personal property tax each year which goes down as the car gets older, or depreciates in value

Please explain how they manage to figure this, your comment doesn't make much sense, if any![/QUOT
In Missouri you are charged taxes on autos you
Own,called personal property tax.
This is paid every year you own it.
Each year it is depreciated,so no matter what you do
restoration or not,you pay what it would have depreciated to,
% of depreciated amount.
Hope that clarifies it to you????

In Michigan here's some things I see,
- No inspections
- 10 year historical plate/registration option
- Cheaper full coverage rates if registered with historical plate (at least State Farm with rules on mileage and where used)
- Not too hard to find gas stations with race fuel
- Roads can be hard on the suspensions
- Police seem to appreciate the old Detroit muscle, and generally smile, and some will signal you to give it a rev

In the city I live, I especially like when the police stop in at local shows and hand out frisbee's and stickers to the little ones walking around with their families
Cruising season too short, but we try to make the best of it, especially if you're willing to do the Woodward Dream Cruise in August

California should be #1 or close to it. That they chose a place where there's freezing temperatures, snow & salt is a giant joke. Here in San Diego there is no smog testing on 1975 & earlier cars. There's also no Safety Inspection. And the cops generally do not give a poop about older cars. I've run my Lotus 7 for years without a windshield, front fenders, wipers, speedo, or bumpers, + run DOT slicks & an open exhaust. It's insane, yet all the cops to is take a pic & give me a thumb's up.

With the weather here there's nearly no rust on local cars. + you can drive a topless or classic almost all the time. 266 sunny days per year! Every day I see pre '75 cars on the road. I only saw ONE classic (Impala) in a week of being in Chicago, and 10 days in Boston netted me ZERO classic cars sighted.

So sure, if ya wanna keep your baby in a heated garage half of the time & have your new car rust into powder in 15 years, go for some Eastern state.

But if you want to DRIVE and ENJOY your classic So Cal is the way to go. The Hagerty (no offense, I like Hagerty) article is ridiculous. Car guys worldwide covet California Cars for a reason. They thrive here. There's easily a dozen or so within a 3 block radius of my house.

I see WI is right in the middle of the pack. Not showing off, not falling behind.

"Wisconsin weather is completely offensive to old car ownership, though. Your car will be in storage for so long you’ll probably forget it looks like."

Sadly, this is true.:cursin:

One stat not mentioned is the availability of non-ethanol gas. WI would rank well, there, except around Milwaukee.
Non oxy gas is huge I agree out here in Vegas we get the same piss they pump out of California when I lived in Minnesota we had non oxy premium in any old Chevy with a V8 and a turbo 350 would burn Rubber with that s***

Originally from MN and agree the car culture up there is very strong and it’s friendly for classic car owners. Not sure that it should have been ranked tops in this article. Also I’m Not a fan of CA even tho I live here but it certainly shouldn’t have been ranked sooo low either. Classic car culture was born here and still resides with most of the benefits still intact.

Can’t say I would put much stock in that whole list.

I live NW OH decent roads 1 time historic plates a lot of cruise ins during summer months no complaints here

Auto Transport Service
Back