• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I raise the rear of the car 2 or 3 inches 64 Savoy

jobenz

Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
My ride is a little low in the rear so already tried QA1 shocks, didn't work and tried longer shackles, didn,t work. Any suggestions?

Shocks and shackles won't lift a car, unless they're air shocks. Even aftermarket springs aren't gonna give you 3".

You can try ESPO Springs and Things. They make leafs with increased or decreased ride height +/- 1", 2" or I think up to 3" - not sure if they have them for a 64 Savoy. I just put a pair of +1" on my 67 Satellite. I am happy with the change

10 yr old Mopar Perf XHD springs
20231128_184809.jpg

New ESPO 67 GTXspec +1"
20240127_115938.jpg

20240127_091112.jpg

Well I called Espo Springs and they cannot help me unless I can tell them what the factory ride height is, I searched for 3 hours yesterday and cannot fine that listed ANYWHERE. Any idea how you determined you needed a 1" lift and what was your final measurement on your height?

Well I called Espo Springs and they cannot help me unless I can tell them what the factory ride height is, I searched for 3 hours yesterday and cannot fine that listed ANYWHERE. Any idea how you determined you needed a 1" lift and what was your final measurement on your height?
I wasn't able to find any rear height spec for my Satellite either - not sure they had any due to the variations available. I posted that question in the 66-67 forum and consensus was that there was no spec for the rear so the +1" was guess on my part based on how my car sat.

Others in the 66-67 forum were showing where the wheel/tire sat up relative to the wheel opening on their cars. Most showed the top of a 14" rim sitting about even with the opening. Mine sat deeper into the wheel well as seen in the pics above. I want the car to sit level or slightly high in the rear. With the previous springs, I had to lower the front well below spec to achieve that and then found that I was bottoming out the LCA on the bump stop. Took a gamble on the +1's, but they seem to have achieved what I wanted. However, I am still going through a front end rebuild including upgrading from 0.90" to 1.03" torsion bars so I don't yet know how it will sit when all 4 wheels on the ground.

Car is still up in the air while I finish the front. Rear is supported by the axle (weight on springs) so I can try to measure distances between the body/frame and axle. Let me know if there are specific measurements that would help.

Side note - I am unhappy with the durability of the Mopar Performance XHD springs. I put them on less than 10 yrs ago, less than 10k miles, to replace stock HD springs and was initially happy with the ride height, but they sagged quickly. This is a cruiser, not a high HP racer. The new springs have the same leaf counts with more arch. Hopefully they will hold up much better.

SS springs WILL lift the rear. The question is, how much? Next, the current ss springs seem to have a poor reputation for longevity. Mine are the 3400 lb version, made in Mexico, and I have no complaints, but the lift was minimal.
You could try the 3800 lb version, and they aren't really expensive , compared to custom springs.
Still, I think adding another whole main leaf to yours will get you the lift you want.

I ordered my '63 springs from Espo, and just had them add a leaf, and 1" lift. Worked well...
1116231452.jpg

It can be done a lot cheaper and easier than what’s being said. I lifted my X by 2” by buying “add a leaf” from Summit. 2 half leafs - IIRC cost was about $39 per or both - can’t remember. But they lifted the car up exactly as I wanted for peanuts. Just add to your stack. That s their purpose - Altho I believe they’re were generally made for trucks - what’s the diff? Worked perfectly.

SS springs WILL lift the rear. The question is, how much? Next, the current ss springs seem to have a poor reputation for longevity. Mine are the 3400 lb version, made in Mexico, and I have no complaints, but the lift was minimal.
You could try the 3800 lb version, and they aren't really expensive , compared to custom springs.
Still, I think adding another whole main leaf to yours will get you the lift you want.
Any idea of how it effects the ride???? dont want to be driving a truck down the road

I don’t think the ride is harsh. Like a car not a truck to me. Not a Cadillac but not a 3/4 ton truck. My Dakota is rougher. But my car is a hot rod and rides accordingly.
Front segment of spring is clamped and QA1 adjustable shocks. Stock rear shackles.

Last edited:
Any idea of how it effects the ride???? dont want to be driving a truck down the road
I would say the ride is no worse than my roadrunner with a super track pack. Not objectionable.
But I will bet that any spring that raises your rear two or three inches WILL be sorta like a truck.
And don't buy KYB shocks. KYB stands for Kill Your Back.

I would say the ride is no worse than my roadrunner with a super track pack. Not objectionable.
But I will bet that any spring that raises your rear two or three inches WILL be sorta like a truck.
And don't buy KYB shocks. KYB stands for Kill Your Back.
Thanks but thats too late just installed KYB shocks as Mancini Racing told me to use.

Auto Transport Service
Back