• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do you adjust trunk lid ?

blazer 2010

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
My 67 bleverdere,s trunk doesn,t line up,too much gap on the top right and of course little on the top left,is twisted.I loosened the bolts on the trunk but that just lets me lift it up or down in the back.

The bolts (2 per arm) should allow you both for and aft as well as up and down adjustment.

Just seems like I can,t get much sideways adjustment,maybe I,ll take trunk off and see if I can file a hole or two

How about where the hinges bolt to the body, can that be moved around? ( I don't know, I've never taken that appart on my car)

How about where the hinges bolt to the body, can that be moved around? ( I don't know, I've never taken that appart on my car)
The hinge does not bolt to the body. The welded on bracket has a pin and the hinge pivots on that pin and a push on sheet metal nut keeps it from falling off...

Sometimes you just have to "bend to adjust". The hinges that is. On several occasions where additional alignment was necessary, I resorted to slamming doors on rubber hose sections to get a door glass frame to fit, prying on hinges, pushing trunk lids and hoods laterally when there were no other options and employ various implements of destruction to "git er done". I still never told the owner of this beautiful 70 911 exactly what I did to align his body panels. The pics of the car are at my shop as it's nearing final assembly and preparing for it's first road trip - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/361100-slowly-but-surely.html

thanks,I got most of the twist out,but now I can,t get it back far enough to line up nice with the taillights but that looks like a filing job

Sometimes you just have to "bend to adjust". The hinges that is. On several occasions where additional alignment was necessary, I resorted to slamming doors on rubber hose sections to get a door glass frame to fit, prying on hinges, pushing trunk lids and hoods laterally when there were no other options and employ various implements of destruction to "git er done". I still never told the owner of this beautiful 70 911 exactly what I did to align his body panels. The pics of the car are at my shop as it's nearing final assembly and preparing for it's first road trip - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/361100-slowly-but-surely.html
Nice car!! I've always liked the 911's. And I've used some of your 'adjustment' techniques too including the use of a floor jack to help 'convince' a door to fit right lol. Gotta know what you're doing in order to not make things worse and you seem to have a handle on that. An old body man showed me a few tricks over the years....and I always have an assortment of wood blocks laying around. Never thought a table saw and a router would help me work on cars lol

Yep, good techniques is where you learn them! My recent "learned" technique from one of those old body men was to give the hollow door shell a twist. Man, that did wonders on my 69 RR! There seems to always be another dimension in how to adjust things. The old body guy learned that trick from his buddy that worked at the Milpitas Ford plant back in the 60's. Who said old guys are useless? Not me!

trunk lid

can this be fixed?

Spiros, It appears that your lid is down just a bit on the driver side rear but the front end looks good.

If you open the trunk and have a buddy hold the right side down, lift the left side up by hand and try to lightly tweak it up.
DON'T try to do it all at once.

Get a nice small buddy to get in the trunk with a ratchet and loosen it up.Adjust as necessary and tighten.

It is in the bolts. Front good, mark and barely loosen front driver bolt. Loosen rear dr bolt, lift up just a tad. That should also send it a hair closer to the fender.

I had a huge grinding stone out one day, until I found the bolts trick.

Auto Transport Service
Back