• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you remove the parking brake assembly?

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, it ought to be self-explanatory, but it isn't - at least to me.
I found and removed the two nuts in the inner fender just fine, but there's a third
bolt that apparently attaches the assembly to the kick panel?
Do I have to detach the parking brake cable before I remove the assembly? If so, how
do you do that?
It's real cramped down there what with the vent housing right on top of it.
Hard to see, especially for old eyes.
TIA!
Ed

On my 67 there were 3 bolts holding assembly to car. One in kick panel area just ahead of release handle and two at rear of unit.It is easier to release cable after it is un bolted. To remove cable from assembly align peddle until cable attaching toothed retainer is aligned and centered in round hole just behing pedal pivot. Pry off toothed retainer and push retaining pin through other side. Unbolt retainer from cable sheath and then cable can then be pulled out of unit..

Thanks much for the reply. The one in the kick panel is the one eluding me. Wonder if it's different from '67 to '68?

OK, since only clemul has tried to help me, I'll post how I got it done for those who come along in the future and find this thread:
1. Detach the front parking brake cable from the t-connector back at the rear axle - I found it easier to do this by first removing the 7/16" headed bolt/nut that clamps the pedal end of the cable housing @ the pedal assembly, then taking the cable housing loose from the pedal assembly. This will give you enough slack in the cable to easily remove the t-connector without running out the adjuster nut back there (with its' bazillion rusty threads).
(Doing all this will allow you to depress the parking brake pedal in step 3 without putting any tension on anything).

2. Remove the two front 1/2" nuts from the two studs in the front of the pedal assembly that protrude into the inner fender well.

3. Partially depress the parking brake pedal, enough to clear the aforementioned elusive THIRD BOLT (1/2" head on it) that bolts the assembly to the kick panel sheetmetal. Remove said bolt.

4. Re-adjust the pedal position until the retaining pin for the end of the cable is visible in the access hole in the side of the pedal assembly. Remove the toothed retainer clemul mentioned from the through-pin, then push out the pin through the back of the pedal assembly. Cable will then easily pull out of the parking brake assembly.

5. Remove brake pedal assembly from car and chuck across the yard in triumphant celebration. ;-)

Thanks again to clemul for helping!

Glad you got it out, your write up is well written...

Thanks much, sir. ;-)
Now I just need to find a decent replacement.

Thanks Ed. I know this thread is now almost ten years old, but the instructions are timeless. I'm getting set to yoink mine out this weekend, so thank you for posting that.

Now I just need to find a decent replacement.
Just don't fall for any ridiculously-priced units. I saw some dreamer had one listed for $200 somewhere. $50 or less is a fair price. I think 66-70 should all be the same - bring yours for comparison.

Just don't fall for any ridiculously-priced units. I saw some dreamer had one listed for $200 somewhere. $50 or less is a fair price. I think 66-70 should all be the same - bring yours for comparison.
Yeah, 9 years ago when I did mine, I just pulled one from a local yard.
Lots of interchange amongst models with that part...

Thanks Ed. I know this thread is now almost ten years old, but the instructions are timeless. I'm getting set to yoink mine out this weekend, so thank you for posting that.
You're very kind sir!

Success! Thanks again, Ed. I didn't chuck it across the yard, but the imagery of you doing so gave me a giggle.

20231230_154821.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back