• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you restore the color of the shifter knob?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
The faux woodgrain has worn off the plastic automatic shifter knob and needs new color. The plastic is brown with darker pits and grain like real wood.

I don't want to send it off for restoration. I'd rather do it myself.

Thanks

Last edited:
I hate that brown fake plastic wood shifter knob. I have a 68 build 69 R/T SE that came with a chrome shifter knob which inspired me to replace the "wood" knob on the other car with a chrome one. Not much help, huh?

Wood knobs can be hard.

The easy answer is to just get one already done. Although this one looks like its a wrap that is heat shrunk onto it.. I see seams... Not sure Id buy this crap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3726553723...TuC0MTo0Cs8yDCeO-eHP2CDuAapqFUycaArOMEALw_wcB

367-W.jpg

This is 66 to 68
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Another option is to actually make a wood one and not use plastic. The original will give you the dimensions you need.

There are a few youtube video on restoring wood grain steering wheels. I would imaging it's the same process. My want to check them out.

The one picture is plastic with a black grain. I wouldn't know where to start with that one, it's printed on it. Both of these I stain to match each other and the pistol grip I made. To get it right I believe you'll have to buy a replacement.
20180425_162823.jpg

I'm going to paint it black or charcoal gray with SEM Color Coat to match the carbon fiber overlays in the Cuda.

Thanks everyone.

Auto Transport Service
Back