• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How hard on engine and driveline is this?

Overdrive is worth so much more than just the fuel savings.
The Tremec swap I did reduced freeway engine speeds by 36%.
Yeah.
Less noise, vibration, engine wear….
If you are making enough torque, a taller axle gear is great but it always comes at the expense of low speed acceleration.

Two words, over drive. You will have you newer car up for sale. Nothing like lumbering down the highway at 80+ and 2300 rpm.
I've looked at the Gear Vendor overdrive for the 727. $2895. Do it yourself. The issue is, I'm probably looking at selling this car in a few years, and don't really want to be dumping money into it other than maintenance or any repair. In hindsight, if I was doing it again, I'd likely budget one in.

275/60/15's in the back look great and help you a little. Affordable option given your goals

I've looked at the Gear Vendor overdrive for the 727. $2895. Do it yourself. The issue is, I'm probably looking at selling this car in a few years, and don't really want to be dumping money into it other than maintenance or any repair. In hindsight, if I was doing it again, I'd likely budget one in.
I agree overdrive is pricey, but worth it. I don't understand this "selling" thing you are talking about.

I agree overdrive is pricey, but worth it. I don't understand this "selling" thing you are talking about.
Honestly, it's about downsizing, early retirement, and maybe moving far away. Will any of it happen for sure? Who knows. The next couple years will tell the tale. I tell you though, crusing along with my wife, on a beautiful day, windows down, and the sound of that big 440 howling away makes it tough to imagine seeing her go.

Swapped the 3:23 to 3:55 during restoration and appreciable engine performance items on the poly. Haven’t noticed any difference off the line, though top end is stronger. More driving time is spent cruising in the country than anything else. Don’t prefer much expressway driving with around 3400 around 70 or so. Upside is don’t need to use the brakes as much given the gear-down.

Are OD set up’s available for early (63) 727 trans? Or should I swap the 15” for larger wheels/tires?

My GTX cruises around 3800@70mph. It’s up on the cam and seems really happy. It may increase engine wear slightly, but after 22 years of driving it that way it doesn’t smoke or use any oil. When I opened it up last winter the engine looked like new inside. YMMV

I'm totally ignorant as to what tire sizes
fit your Satalite, but if you're able to fit
a larger diameter tire in the wheelwells,
this would be a cheaper alternative to
swapping gears.
For example-
A 29.00 tall tire would spin your engine
at 2521 rpm's @ 60 with 3.55 gears.
Which is exactly what I run with, and
I'm happy with it's highway
performance.

My current setup has me rolling down the highway at 2900rpm. That's 60 miles/hour, or 100kms/hour here in the land of metric. This may be a dumb question, but how much harder would it be on the engine/driveline going 2900rpm for long distances, like 2-3 hours at a time, as opposed to lower rpm driving in city, or having higher ratio gears and a little taller tire? I run 3.55's, with a 255/60-15 tire. I would have loved 3.23's, but I couldn't pass up the deal on the rear end. It's an 8 1/4" with a Yukon Dura Grip. Now my wife and I seem to be doing more cruising at highway speeds, and I'm wondering if there's anything I should be keeping a closer eye on because of the rpm? For the record, this is my '70 Satellite two door with a 440/727. About 475hp at the crank. I also find it cool that I'm still getting 14mpg on the highway. I think that's pretty good.(based on a US gallon. 16.5mpg Imperial). Thanks all.
Keep in mind that back when these were daily drivers, they ALWAYS ran at the rpm's you indicated. Having said that, the typical motor was ready for a rebuild by 100,000 miles. If you want to increase engine life and driving enjoyment for longer cruises, you can always spring for a gear vendors or other overdrive option.

MARK 1972 my RR 383 with 6 pack - passion performance 4 speed ($1000) with .73 fourth , 3.55 rear and 15" 275 x 60 =75mph just about 2k and 2.2 80mph speed climbs fast at higher RPM. Now I just have to get it to stop! LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back