• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many 1968 cars have shoulder belts?

Jim, would you happen to have any pictures of the rear seat shoulder belt set-up? In all of my years of looking at these cars, that is one option that I have never physically seen installed on a car. The only pictures were those from a service bulletin that I have seen. A very rare option on these cars.

Jim, would you happen to have any pictures of the rear seat shoulder belt set-up? In all of my years of looking at these cars, that is one option that I have never physically seen installed on a car. The only pictures were those from a service bulletin that I have seen. A very rare option on these cars.

Richard, here are a few pics. I should have kept it! A few other oddities were speed control and drivers side only head rest.

G75ai0.jpg

TxPZ5x.jpg

fchgMl.jpg

Jim,
Thanks for the pictures, really neat on how they were anchored. That car was an oddity. I have heard of the single head rest deal, and again, never actually seen it that way.
Much appreciated,
Richard

Interesting.

I've seen several '67 cars with only one head rest (restraint).

Both driver's side only and passenger's side only.

My favorite was a 67 Dart GT non-GTS 273- 4 barrel car in turbine bronze with passenger side only head rest. Should have bought that one.

Here's another (not great) view of belts from the outside. And the head rest.

77zJOb.jpg

uMZluE.jpg

Cool, I saw the rear shoulder belts in my FSM. Were yours dealer installed Jim, being black vs all the other belts.

I thought I read all rear shoulder belts were black and not color matched but not sure.

As for factory installed, I always assumed so. Not sure if this helps. What does 6 under 566 mean?

GFFPEf.jpg

SVr5o7.jpg

2uQQzg.jpg

Last edited:
1968 Charger, Hamtramck car, has the holes in the headliner for the shoulder belts in front. 12-28-67 scheduled build.

Dealer installed on a LA built 68 Superbee, along with a trailer hitch. Original owner towed a small camper and wanted rear shoulder belts for the children. I purchased car from original owners daughter. These were in a box with the original hub caps, car was converted to tuck and roll interior and all original seat belts were replaced with GM belts. Anchor pins are missing but bezels and brackets are nice.

B Body RR shoulder belts 1.jpg B Body RR shoulder belts 2.jpg

My 68 Charger (12-6-67) scheduled build date didn't have head rests or shoulder belts. I added both when I did my build in 2015.
Can't say that I ever noticed any rear shoulder belts in any cars that old. Not even 4 door cars.

And the elastic isn’t working anymore,lol.
Mine came with the shoulder belts and the elastics are all stretched out as well, LOL!

Down in KY my buddy's 69 Coronet had this problem. I went to the crafts store, bought elastic and snaps, took out the wore out elastic, sewed on new, put in a snap, and replaced it. Shoulder belts on these cars are ugly enough in good condition, but saggy ones are unbearable (imho).
nickbelt1.jpg
nickbelt2.jpg
nickbelt3.jpg

My Coronet has them. Looking at the build sheet there is a box for

Shoulder Belts R.R.
RT/LT

and

Shoulder Belts FRT
RT/LT

Mine has the fronts but nothing marked in either box.

Mine also has headrests and has a big old HEADRESTS stamp on the build sheet.

there is also a box

HEADREST
Left &/or Right

and My car has "3" in that box.

Looks like you could get just a drivers or passenger seat with a headrest

Last edited:
HEADREST
Left &/or Right

and My car has "3" in that box.

Looks like you could get just a drivers or passenger seat with a headrest

Off the options list;
Order Code 531 = Head Restraint - left $21.95