• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many `68 4-Spd. Road Runners have a.c.???

detmatt1

Local time
10:32 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am just realizing now (after 3 years) that my `68 Road Runner project, "JUNKYARD DOG" came with a.c.. I have no documentation with this car but here is what little I know about it. 383 4spd, no power steering or brakes, big radiator, and tinted glass, LL1 color and it's a post car. I have been restoring it from the rear forward and now that I am making some forward progress I have noticed that the firewall is set up for a.c. and I am a little suprised. I also think it's an early `68 because of the black and white bird decals on the dash and the finish panel. How many `68 birds were made with a.c.???. Were there different dash frames for a.c. and non a.c. cars, or were they all the same frames, probably the same right?.
Any help would be great.

If your car is an early 68 it will have round vent nobs under the dash,not the square ones that say vent, it won't have the reverse light under the dash, and your ash tray will slide up and down. I have seen soon 68's with a pull out ash tray like on a 69. As for the a/c part. I believe you had to have power steering with a/c but i am not sure. the dash is different than a non a/c dash. it will have vents on the sides.

If your car is an early 68 it will have round vent nobs under the dash,not the square ones that say vent, it won't have the reverse light under the dash, and your ash tray will slide up and down. I have seen soon 68's with a pull out ash tray like on a 69. As for the a/c part. I believe you had to have power steering with a/c but i am not sure. the dash is different than a non a/c dash. it will have vents on the sides.

Thanks "Tubbed66Charger", that is some good info. My dash frame has the cutouts for the vents in it and I'll look into the rest of those details. I bought this car as a rolling chassis that had spent a good part of it's life as a drag car. As a result it was pretty well stripped down to the minimum. I guess it could have had power steering but was removed and a manuel steering box was used to save some pounds up front. They even went so far as to remove the front sway bar. I'll check the part # on the steering gear to see if it would be correct, are those date coded in any way?.

No, PS was not required.

Auto Transport Service
Back