• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how much power can axles take??? any rules of thumb?

pman53

Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
i have an 8 1/4 that i want to push a gozillion horsepower through. is there any way of knowing how much is too much? even with upgraded axles shafts.

I am the axle breaking King!!

I love drag racing my 05 Viper truck. It came standard with a Dana 60 and 4.56 gear.
Leaving the line at 5000 rpm w/ a 150 shot of nitrous (the truck weighs 5200 lbs.)
She will run a 7.28 1/8 th mile which should be about a 10.30 1/4 mile.
Had to have cryoed spider gears after breaking 2 sets. No more problems.
Then...broke a stock Dana axle 35 spline. OK so I went to a custom built Dana with Strange S/T axles and a Detroit Locker center section. So with my new found strength drove 330 miles to Valdosta, Ga. to a King of the Hill Truck race. Broke a Strange axle first pass!!! Dammit.....

Forgot to mention that is on 1200 x 16 M&H Nostalgia slicks, hooks like a BEAR!! 1.54 60'

Last edited:
A couple of guys have said about 400 HP or so to a 8.25 rearend and I am putting 675 to a 8.75 rear end with a brace. I have an auto trans with a 5500 stall converter. I hope this helps with your question.

anything over 400 horsepower you are pushing the limits on a 8.25 rear end. Alot more goes into breakage than just horsepower though. Hell you could have 500+ horsepower and if you never mash the loud pedal youll be fine. But who cant mash the skinny pedal with 500+ ponies. General rule of thumb I have heard is if you are running over 400 horse then you want to upgrade the rear axle or you will be doing it anyways under less than optimal circumstances...

I would not put more then 450 or hp to an 8-1/4 and the heavier the harded on the axles.

FatJack a 7.28 in the 1/8 is not 10.30's as I ran 7.28 in the 1/8 on my 11.49 pass so its more like 11.40's. I wish it was 10.30's. Ron

Any rear can break an axle but when a C clip rear brakes one, it can put you into the wall.....

Auto Transport Service
Back