• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much time to replace a 318 w a 440 68 coronet

I owe you an apology as well... I didn’t mean to turn your thread into a pissing contest. Most of the parts you’ll need are bolt in. If it were me, I’d upgrade to a 26” radiator. The 22” will be OK, but the 26” is added insurance in traffic in the summer.
No prob, appreciate the info, and apology. Ive never done it, so appreciate the advice here

Things ALWAYS take longer than we think. Just having all the required tools often takes one time through the job. I'd figure at least a few days if you have a fair amount of experience.

Edit: the 22" radiator is probably just fine.

Things ALWAYS take longer than we think. Just having all the required tools often takes one time through the job. I'd figure at least a few days if you have a fair amount of experience.
Thanks, i just didn't know if i need to swap k member, trans mounts, etc

About 2 hours... if you have the parts!
2 Hours to pull a drive train swap out a big block and get it running with all wiring, fluids, driveshaft, hood installed and exhaust connected?
Not for me, I'd plan on a week.
If I had every single thing I needed maybe 3 full days.

Not to hijack my own thread, but owners looking to do the Stage 5 440 to hemi conversion. I know you have to weldbosses on the block. Know of any on sale for a discount? Any tips?

Thanks, i just didn't know if i need to swap k member, trans mounts, etc

The K member is the same, need the BB motor mounts. If the SB had a 727, I think the trans X member and trans mount is the same. Not sure about the driveshaft.

2 Hours to pull a drive train swap out a big block and get it running with all wiring, fluids, driveshaft, hood installed and exhaust connected?
Not for me, I'd plan on a week.
If I had every single thing I needed maybe 3 full days.

I was kidding! :D If you had all the parts, and help... maybe an all nighter.

The main takeaway is......
There is no cutting, welding, fabrication necessary........ provided you have all the correct parts on hand.

In my 68 Satellite I’ve had a couple of different 440’s, a 340, a 400, and a 383.

The main takeaway is......
There is no cutting, welding, fabrication necessary........ provided you have all the correct parts on hand.

In my 68 Satellite I’ve had a couple of different 440’s, a 340, a 400, and a 383.
And for clarification , this is a R/T convertable. It has a 318, so i dont know if its a real R/T

And for clarification , this is a R/T convertable. It has a 318, so i dont know if its a real R/T
An R/T should have a 440 so likely not, it would be surprising for someone to go from a 440 to a 318.

Not mentioned above is the exhaust. Have a plan. Nothing worse than finishing everything else and having to keep the ride short because you’ve got open headers.

Not mentioned above is the exhaust. Have a plan. Nothing worse than finishing everything else and having to keep the ride short because you’ve got open headers.
See post #24 Nate

Not to hijack my own thread, but owners looking to do the Stage 5 440 to hemi conversion. I know you have to weldbosses on the block. Know of any on sale for a discount? Any tips?

That's a project for someone REALLY experienced and sure will require a ton of other mods to the car.

2 hours...until you get to the bolt that you can only turn 1/32 of a rotation at a time without repositioning the wrench and it takes you 1.5 hours to remove. Then you will snap another bolt and it will take 6 hours to get that out. Add in 4 trips to the auto parts store to get some obscure tool or part you never thought you would need. At least another hour spent cleaning oil/trans fluid/coolant off the garage floor that spilled. There are endless time-sucks that turn every 2 hour job into a 3 day journey. It has almost become a joke in my house when my wife asks how long it will take to do something. She will triple the time I tell her. Unfortunately, she is usually right.

If he is really talking a 440 to Hemi conversion, figure on 6 months at least maybe a lot more.

If he is really talking a 440 to Hemi conversion, figure on 6 months at least maybe a lot more.
I don't think there's that much time in the stage 5 conversion is there? That has pretty much bolt on from what I understand and maybe have to have bosses welded on the block otherwise it's a standard build. We're going to use six pack rods and that kind of stuff but he's not looking for a 600 horsepower Street motor he wants more to look.

I don't think there's that much time in the stage 5 conversion is there? That has pretty much bolt on from what I understand and maybe have to have bosses welded on the block otherwise it's a standard build. We're going to use six pack rods and that kind of stuff but he's not looking for a 600 horsepower Street motor he wants more to look.

Go for it. I bet the Hemi heads will give you trouble.

Auto Transport Service
Back