• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to crate or prepare a fender for shipping advice.

Road Grabber

Local time
1:00 PM
Reaction score
I am shipping a fender and I was hoping to get some advice for how to crate or wrap a fender for shipping?

Would you build a crate around it?
Would you just wrap it with a blanket or cardboard?

I was planning use Fastnal or possibly Freight Center.

Freight Center picks up and drops off. They also provide a tracking number. Fastnal does not.

Thank you in advance.

I shipped two NOS Front fenders to Florida and this is how i did it....

Phone #1 414.jpg Phone #1 421.jpg Phone #1 430.jpg Phone #1 432.jpg Phone #1 442.jpg Phone #1 443.jpg

How much was shipping on those? I shipped a really nice 70 Cuda fender using thick cardboard and double laying it with extra protection on the front edges etc. It got there in decent shape except the lower part behind the wheel opening was bent a bit. The buyer said it was easily fixed. After that, crating was the only way I was going to do that but never sold anymore fenders and shipped them.

I built and supplied the crate for Free, Freight was around $400.00 to a Business the Florida. Thats the only way i will ship sheet metal or Rare Mopar items...

I built and supplied the crate for Free, Freight was around $400.00 to a Business the Florida. Thats the only way i will ship sheet metal or Rare Mopar items...
I shipped my fender nearly 30 years ago....not so rare back then.

I would suggest stopping by a local body shop.
At our place we get new sheet metal pretty regular.
The big three do a good job of packing , hoods , door shells, fendes , box sides ,ect ect.
For the most part box's are heavy gauge card board with styro inserts for end and edge protection.
This packing all hits the recycle dumpster.

I know old mopar fenders are much larger than today's stuff but you can get creative with the larger boxs for doors and box sides.

Definitely not FedEx. I have 1k in rare sheet metal in FedEx limbo.
I have used Fastenal...much better.

Saia trucking has done wonderful for me. My new Glen Ray radiator was shipped by speede delivery and was perfect !

They used to, it’s been a few years for me. They were advertising they did , Saia. Speede was to my door from Glen Ray.
I just checked saia web site it’s to a business only now a days . If you have a local mom and pop part store you could ask them. Looks like Saia does have Tommy / door lifts on the tailgates . So they will be able to load it. Quotes are avail of you have your p/u destination addresses avail.

I've had numerous fenders, running boards, hoods,
even glass, shipped UPS. Bubble wrap, then
cardboard, then cellophane wrap. Not one
complaint in 15 years, and I've delt with some
hard to get, rare parts. (1940 Plymouth pickup).
The main thing to look out for is hard bumps/
knocks, from the outside surface. Keep it
simple.

I've had numerous fenders, running boards, hoods,
even glass, shipped UPS. Bubble wrap, then
cardboard, then cellophane wrap. Not one
complaint in 15 years, and I've delt with some
hard to get, rare parts. (1940 Plymouth pickup).
The main thing to look out for is hard bumps/
knocks, from the outside surface. Keep it
simple.

For each of those shipments, you have to crate/box the items on top of a pallet? The UPS here said they will pallet the item for $50 and that they require the item inside a box or crate on top of a pallet.

What did you use for strapping? Metal bands? Ratchet straps?

I purchesed a pre-painted chinese fender a few months back for the wifes car. When it arrived it was covered with baby powder before light foam. Nice touch & kept the new paint nice.

For each of those shipments, you have to crate/box the items on top of a pallet? The UPS here said they will pallet the item for $50 and that they require the item inside a box or crate on top of a pallet.

What did you use for strapping? Metal bands? Ratchet straps?
For the heavier (engines/transmissions)
a cheap set of straps, then wrapped. For the
lighter stuff (fenders/hoods) just wrapped W/no
straps. I use private carriers and build my own
pallets. I use UPS for the smaller stuff that can
be boxed.

For the heavier (engines/transmissions)
a cheap set of straps, then wrapped. For the
lighter stuff (fenders/hoods) just wrapped W/no
straps.

Thank you. Do you lay hoods down and strap them? The requirements say to "secured items to keep them from shifting". How do you keep the wrapped fenders and hoods on a pallet from moving without straps? In a crate?
I always wondered how someone ships a hood. Laying down? Standing up?

Thank you for the responses. I have sheet metal to ship. I would think it would take much less space in a truck if the hood was standing up on its side but laying it down would not be as much a risk for shifting around.

The hoods I've shipped are from 1940's vehicles,
and are laid flat, sandwiched with bubble wrap
and cardboard.
Wrap the pallet starting around the edges and
wrap to the point of covering the entire hood.
Nail narrow strips of wood to frame in the hood
(on top of the wrap). They don' t have to be the
full length or width of the hood. This will keep
the hood from sliding around.
I use a wrap that is 3 mils thick and 15" wide.
(grade 80?).

Last edited:
The hoods I've shipped are from 1940's vehicles,
and are laid flat, sandwiched with bubble wrap
and cardboard.
Wrap the pallet starting around the edges and
wrap to the point of covering the entire hood.
Nail narrow strips of wood to frame in the hood
(on top of the wrap). They don' t have to be the
full length or width of the hood. This will keep
the hood from sliding around.
I use a wrap that is 3 mils thick and 15" wide.
(grade 80?).

Thank you. So you wrapped underneath the crate as well with the crate and hood resting on the shrink wrap resting on the floor? When you started with the edges you covered the openings for the fork lift?
I'm just try to visualize this crate wrapped completely around including underneath ..... The forklift pokes through the shrink wrap when moving it?

I don't want to seem like an idiot. Just making sure.

Then you nailed the strips down over the wrap to border it and tighten it up some more I take it.

It's good they use that space regardless without stacking anything on top of the hood?

Thanks again for your patience

Auto Transport Service
Back