• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to disassemble 1964 dash clock without breaking it

Evan Frucht

Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
im having trouble trying to take this apart to inspect and clean but the seconds hand is stuck on pretty good. is there a certain way it comes off. I don't want to pull or twist the wrong thing and break it. how do I take this thing apart?
this is for a 1964 Plymouth dash clock

Last edited:
Got part of it off but the hand is still stuck. I need to remove it to take the movement apart from the face
20181111_145751.jpg

Can't tell you on that, Evan. My 64 clock has a good face, but backside/movement is a mass of rust.
Know I've run into some gauge rebuilders, that offer to fix 'em.

Good luck on it!

thank you, I'd like to attempt to clean and or fix it on my own but the seconds hand needs to come off before I separate the movement and face. I have an idea of how I will disassemble movement but want to confirm if there is a particular way the seconds hand comes off?

who are the clock repair gurus on this website ?

this thing is stuck on, I need some guidance. I'm not sure if theres a trick but im curious how would a dash repair shop would go about doing it. someone must have taken one of these apart before. anyone please?

this thing is stuck on, I need some guidance. I'm not sure if theres a trick but im curious how would a dash repair shop would go about doing it. someone must have taken one of these apart before. anyone please?

I rebuilt the clock in my '66 Coronet, using a replacement quartz movement, but keeping the original hands and face. The second hand does pull off but it's bit tricky. As I recall, the hour & minute hands fit "over" their shafts but the second hand was actually pushed into a hole in the centre shaft. Good luck.

Well I got it off (screwed up my second hand in the process a bit) but it was stuck on there very tight. Called two dash repair shops across the country and they informed me it does just pull off, but they can be very hard to get off occasionally. Used vice grips once the hand was already damaged and that eventually freed it.

Auto Transport Service
Back